Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seals

Hi

Could any one help me, I have changed my fork seals 3 times and keep getting a leak from the same fork leg. I have a gs1000. everything seemed the same on both fork legs when i stipped them,I have also replaced both stopper rings..

cheers billygs.

Got pits on the tube on that side maybe? Are you using air in the forks? -- Maybe somehow you've managed to overfill that side consistently? Are the spring(s) sagging more on that side, so that over big bumps you build too much pressure?

Comment

... or you could take the easy route and buy a whole new fork(s) on eBay -- they are usually pretty cheap.

Comment

fork seals

Hi t3rmin.

I have very slight pitting on the side thats leaking, i'm not using airforks. how bad does the pitting have to be.

cheers Billygs.

Comment

If you've got pitting on that side, but not the other, I'd say you've found your problem. Even slight pitting can have sharp edges that eat seals. Your options are:

1) Sand out the pits. Start with a medium grit and work up to a very fine grit. You need to end up with basically a mirror finish so it slides nicely. If you can take the edge off the pits without affecting roundness or diameter too much, you'll be in good shape.
          2) Replace the upper tube or get a whole new fork.

Comment

Working...
          X