How much slack should be in the chain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much slack should be in the chain?

I have adjusted the slack in the chain on my sons KX85 alot but have never adjusted the slack on a street bike chain.Its a 1982 GS750t and when you ride it you can hear the chain rattling.When you check it you can pull the chain about a inch away from the sprocket.How much slack should there be?

I usually go with about 2 chain width worth dead centre from front to rear sprocket on the lower row of course

Comment

How much slack should there be in my shaft?

To think how you guys in the chain gang get down on your hands and knees to check your chain...

You guys just never learn, do ya?

Comment

The rule of thumb is: when you pull the chain off the back of the sprocket, you should not see daylight between the chain and sprocket - if so, the chain needs replacing. I personally don't like to see that much loosening of the rollers before replacing the chain.

Comment

Have someone of your approximate weight sit on your bike and then check to see if there is about one inch (20mm) of slack midway between sprockets on the bottom run.

Comment

Your chain is shot for sure if you can pull it so far from the sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
              How much slack should there be in my shaft?
              Nick,

This is something we really don't need to know .
              But Dr. Ruth may have an opinion.

Comment

thirty millimetres(1 1/4") at the middle of the lower run of the chain with the bike on the centrestand i.e. unladen.
                Dink

Comment

I took this blurb from the D.I.D. chain website:

Revolutionize your motorcycle & dirt bike riding experience with D.I.D Chains, the unrivaled choice for everyday riders and professional racers. Our chains, chain kits and motorcycle rims are designed to amplify your bike's performance and are now available online. Shop today and UNLEASH THE POWER OF PERFORMANCE!

Sag Adjustment
                  A drive chain that is too tight speeds up wear by excessive pressure on the sprocket teeth, the chain joints and the shaft bearings. A chain that is too loose will wear quickly and may have a whip action that can cause it to snap. A chain that is too tight or too loose will result in excessive elongation. Normal sag (see diagram) is 3/4"*. To check, press down on the top strand of the drive chain with your fingers. Tighten or loosen to achieve 3/4"*.

*This is normal sag, however, your specific motorcycle requirements may vary. Please consult your dealer or owners manual. For motocross motorcycles, please consult the owner's manual.

I have someone sit on the bike when I do mine.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

I thought it was supposed to be checked with the bike on the centerstand?

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                      Your chain is shot for sure if you can pull it so far from the sprocket.
                      I've never been too mechanically inclined, but I'm thinking the sprockets needs replacing too. With that much slack, I'm sure it's distorted the valleys between the teeth and will just wear out a new chain that much quicker.

Of course, I only got 8,000 miles out of my last chain, so what would I know about it?
                      "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Bishop Helder Camara

"Beware of the man with only one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...dStatesMap.jpg

82 GS1100E....black w/WC fairing and plenty o corrosion and low levels of attention

Comment

Working...
                      X