#1 Exhaust leak, not firing. Pic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 Exhaust leak, not firing. Pic.

Have a look please. #1 is not firing I believe due to fuel fouling. There is apparently an exhaust leak. I've just ordered new gaskets.

Is the exhaust leak causing the fouling problem? What the heck is this?

Is that fuel dripping down the header?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Float sticking on #1?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
          Float sticking on #1?
          Good idea! I'll check that.

Comment

Wait a tick. If the float was sticking, wouldn't it be raining out of the overflow?

Comment

Not if it was just sticky and fouled a plug...causing the unburned fuel to find the exhaust leak.

Comment

The #1 pipe is warm, but not hot. I tried the old "lick your finger and flick the pipe" trick. It dries immediately, but not the pst! like the others. Is that a partial ignition or just warm from the other cylinders?

Comment

Looking at the fuel on the header, if it were firing on the cylinder, the fuel would have evaporated. My bet is on conductive heating of the #1 pipe along with some convection from the piston pushing out hot air.

Sounds like a conversation in the appliance section at Sears. :-D

Comment

Well, I don't know what the heck starting it, but a new plug fixed it.

Now just the exhaust leak.

Comment

Plugs can do weird things for sure.They can go bad overnight for some reason.Usually when you ride the $$$$% out of it and put it up hot.Sorta like rode hard and put away wet.I would keep an eye on it !

Comment

Working...
                      X