Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive Fork Springs...Length Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Fork Springs...Length Question.

I picked up a set of NOS Progressive Suspension fork springs on ebay (actually they were marketed under the name 'Magnum', but made by Progressive)....they seemed to be very long, compared to the OEM Suzuki items...almost four to five inches of spring had to be compressed, in order to get the caps back on....no mean feat, given that these are so much more beefy than stock springs (no spacer, and preload adjuster set to zero). After several failed attempts, a friend and I surmised that they were probably not correctly labelled (the packaging was very worn), and cut a couple inches off, leaving about three inches to be compressed before the cap threaded on....still a struggle, but possible.
    Anyway...now the bike still rides at the very top of the suspension, with about 1/4 inch sag...the ride quality over bumps, and in corners, is great...firm, yet controlled....HOWEVER, now there is a noticeable vibration when shutting off the throttle and coasting with decreasing rpm's...possibly due to still being 'oversprung' and a little light in the front. My plan is to pick up another set of Prog. Suspension springs from Z1, but the part number is the same as the item I am now running (1107). Anyone else remember the aftermarket springs being so much longer than stock? I'm hoping the springs were mis-labelled, and the new 1107's will be a more appropriate length, giving the correct ride height and sag adjustability.

Tony.
    '82 GS1100E

Spring has sprung

Mr. Mysuzyq,

The part number 1107 is what I have new in the box and will be installing them in my bike as soon as I get a chance. I've been told that 2" of spacer shoud be about the max I would have to use. In other threads I've read that the spacer length should be adjusted to give you about 1" to 1.5" of 'sag', depending on how firm you like your ride. 'Sag' is the difference in your fork length when measured with no load at all (fully extenede) and when you sit in the saddle with all your weight.

Heavier fork oil will make for a harsher ride too. I think the PO has 10w in there now and I'm going to try 15w. 20w seems like it would too much.

Would you like me to measure the length of my Progressive springs?

Please forgive me if I state the obvious. I'll learn some of the finer points of front forks when I install my springs. Until then, "That's my story and I'm sticking to it!" :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks...I wonder if you could please roughly measure the length of the spring for me before you install...I have the OEM ones to compare them to, and ascertain if the ones I installed were in fact 1107's or mis-labelled springs....I have done the reading on basic set-up (sag, oil weight etc) , but the springs I installed appear to be too long/stiff to get me in the ballpark. No spacers are required for the 1100E application.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Very strong possibility...in hindsight, I should have sent them to Jesse James, or OCC ...these things were that long!:-D I had them stored for almost a year, so there was no question of a return/exchange. Surprisingly, the ride after 'customizing' the length is really nice, apart from the vibration issue at certain rpm/part throttle cruising.

Tony.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

They are the wrong ones.Mine were a little shorter than stock and i used a 2" spacer with 15w oil and it worked great with a 1 1/4" sag.i do have a fairing and its perfect with it on.Go to the progressive websight and they have the instructions in a pdf format you can look at to see what your setup should be.

Comment

Spring has sprung

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            Thanks...I wonder if you could please roughly measure the length of the spring for me before you install...I have the OEM ones to compare them to, and ascertain if the ones I installed were in fact 1107's or mis-labelled springs....
            Mr. Mysuzyq,

My springs were bought through underbid.com from mawonline.com. They came in a Progressive factory box with the part # 11-1107 on the end. They measure right at 18 inches long. To me, these seem rather short but I'm told they're the right stuff.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Mr. Mysuzyq,

My springs were bought through underbid.com from mawonline.com. They came in a Progressive factory box with the part # 11-1107 on the end. They measure right at 18 inches long. To me, these seem rather short but I'm told they're the right stuff.

BassCliff
              Ditto on the springs. Still experementing with stock vs. progressive/ race tech emmulators / and 1000G /1000GL /1100E w/antidive forks.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Mr. Mysuzyq,

BassCliff
                Thanks a lot for that info, Mr. Basscliff...I came across the underbid item a couple days ago and called MAW, but they are'nt setup to ship to Canada through that site .....awesome price though!

Tony.
                '82 GS1100E

Comment

I had a very good experience with progressive when I replaced the shocks w/springs and new fork springs on my Kaw 750. I recently got a set of progressive shocks w/springs . The springs I ordered were 95lb./140 lb. I received 90/130. Too soft. Reordered the springs as 95/140's and received another pair of 90/130. I tried get the correct springs from two different sources with the same result. Then there are the fork springs from progressive I ordered. To install these springs without a preload spacer, would require the springs to be compressed at least 3" to get the cap on. The instructions that came with the springs call for a 3" spacer on my '83 GS1100ED. These springs are so firm that I'm sure if I was able to install them, the forks would not compress even after a three story fall!! Not sure as to what is going on over at progressive. I will not buy anymore suspension parts from them. Progressive is a definitely a thumbs down from on.

Comment

Yup, sounds like I got the same mis-identified springs as well...the label clearly said 1107, though they were as just you described.....probably a computer glitch I'm thinking. AFAIK, the '82 and '83 1100E's both use the 11-1107 springs, with no spacer required...even the P.S. site makes a note of that....you may wanna double check if you ever try installing a set again....if the length appears to be way longer than the 18" Basscliff mentioned, I will send them back without attempting the installation again.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

The part number on the box mine came in also said 11-1107. Progressive is trying to get rid of old stock by mislabeling parts and hoping guys don't notice. Never again for me. The sad part is the parts houses get the bad rap, D. Kirk and Tucker-Rocky.

Comment

Working...
                      X