Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boiling Battery 17-19 volts

Hello all,
    Last night my son came home and said our project 82 GS1100EZ's lights were flashing bright to dim. We opened it up and put a volt meter on the battery. Started the bike and at idle it was at 17.1 volts. At 3000 RPM's it was well over 19. You could see the water boiling in the battery. We tested the r/r and got all the right ohm readings according to the manual. I removed the Black with white wire and cleaned the frame and connector and it still did the same. Any ideas? Are they (R/R) still available?
    Thanks
    Ernie

Time for new R/R.
    Various options available (Ricks, Electrosport, used Honda R/R) - do a search here - been discussed a million times.

Comment

Does your meter have a "diode test" function? It will tell you better than just resistance readings. Remember that there are a total of 12 measurements when testing the diodes. If any one of them fails, the r/r is toast.

Yes, regulators are still available, but it's better to get one for a Honda, as they have larger wires and better heat sinks. eBay has several. Look for ones off a 500-1000 bike, most will have the required 3 yellow wires in, at least 1 black, 1 red output, and some will have a 'sense' wire to help control regulation.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Does your meter have a "diode test" function? It will tell you better than just resistance readings. Remember that there are a total of 12 measurements when testing the diodes. If any one of them fails, the r/r is toast.
        The diode checks only check the rectifier section of the rectifier/regulator.
        They tell if it is rectifying properly, but they tell you nothing about how well it is regulating.

If the voltage is low, they can potentially help diagnose problems.
        If the voltage is high, its a different kind of problem.

If the battery is above 16 volts at any time the regulator is definitely shot, and there’s no need for the diode test.
        (it will probably pass the diode test, but its still shot)

BTW, the battery is not boiling, the water is being dissociated into hydrogen and oxygen bubbles ... don't smoke near it ...

Comment

Check to see if your bike has a voltage sense wire somewhere in the R/R wires. If the voltage sense wire is having problems then it can send to much voltage to the battery. I would also say that your R/R is probably toast, but check for a sense wire before putting a brand new R/R on the bike.

Comment

Replace the R/R (regulator/rectifier). Yours is faulty.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

What Earl said.

The RR (regulator/rectifier) does two things: it regulates (ie. caps the voltage to 14.5 volts max., or thereabouts) and it rectifies (ie. in simple terms, it takes the AC coming from the alternator and 'converts' it to DC).

Your RR is rectifying (easy to test for, anyway) but clearly it isn't regulating. Time for another...

Comment

Thanks,
                I do have a meter that can read diodes. I tried the R/R off my honda last night and the voltage was ok. I ordered one from the local dealer today (so I can have it for Labor Day weekend).
                Since we are new to the GS's I will have plenty of questions I'm sure.
                Thank you all so much.
                Ernie

Comment

Originally posted by ErnieGS1100EZ View Post
                  Thanks,
                  I do have a meter that can read diodes. I tried the R/R off my honda last night and the voltage was ok. I ordered one from the local dealer today (so I can have it for Labor Day weekend).
                  Since we are new to the GS's I will have plenty of questions I'm sure.
                  Thank you all so much.
                  Ernie
                  Would you mind posting what Honda model number R/R you purchased?

Comment

Any new "5 wire" R/R will work it's a matter of finding a spot to mount it... I have a GSXR600 R/R on my bike from a two thousand something or other (200X). It's about 3 times the size of the old ones and it's been working awesome... and you can get get em off ebay for 25$ - 40$ depending on the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by skreemer View Post
                      Any new "5 wire" R/R will work it's a matter of finding a spot to mount it... I have a GSXR600 R/R on my bike from a two thousand something or other (200X). It's about 3 times the size of the old ones and it's been working awesome... and you can get get em off ebay for 25$ - 40$ depending on the auction.
                      Thanks...I think I've got plenty of room to mount it. I just thought that since he just bought one from the dealer he might have the part number.:-D

Comment

Working...
                      X