Fork Spring Adjuster Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Spring Adjuster Question

I've spent the last couple of weeks trying to get my front suspension sorted out. The bike currently gets upset too easily, doing the pogo thing when the road gets rough on corners.

My GS1000G has non-standard fittings in the top of the forks, at least I can't find anything about them in the workshop manual. I'm considering fitting the standard adjusting topbolts. At the moment the bike has spacer tubes about 40mm long but some adjustment for different roads would be good.

From the manual I get the idea that the screw slot moves down into the tube as the adjustment is wound tighter. I've not seen these things in operation. How far down does the adjuster travel with each step?

Does anyone have any experience using heavier fork oil to stiffen up rebound damping?

Thanks
    Kim

Forks

Original Suzuki fork caps have a 3 step ajustment of about 8mm each step if they are the ones you are talking about. Doing fork oil replacement involves jacking up front of bike removing the top caps first, remove spacer & springs, take out the forks one at a time turning them upside down and pumping all the oil into a pan installing the fork back in and adding oil. Remember to pump forks up & down to remove air trapped in the lower internals (before you put the springs back in) Or if you are lazy just remove the phillip screws at the bottom of the leg. 15wt oil is a good place to start with maybe 20cc more fluid each leg for a sligthly firmer ride.

Comment

WOW my 1150 and Katana must be trick as they have four steps 8O but Sharpy is right I run both with 15w oil and approx 20ml. more oil than standard and I am pleased with that setting and the second step on the adjusters.
      Dink
      BTW Kim are you still coming to Coffs?

Comment

Originally posted by Dink
        WOW my 1150 and Katana must be trick as they have four steps 8O but Sharpy is right I run both with 15w oil and approx 20ml. more oil than standard and I am pleased with that setting and the second step on the adjusters.
        Dink
        BTW Kim are you still coming to Coffs?
        I don't think the manual says how many steps for mine. I will check it out.

I changed the oil a while ago, the old stuff was pretty off-colour and I have in mind to use this change as a rinse only and to change again soon. I used 15W but was not completely happy with the result as the bike was still rather loose and floppy.

Since then I've fitted the air adjusters that fit around the fork tubes and am experimenting with air pressures. That has helped but won't give me adjustable rebound damping. And I thought that a bit of adjustability would be OK considering that a long trip needs different settings than a fast afternoon fang around local mountain roads with the Ulysses hoons.

Yep, still on track for Coffs - so far. I thought I might take Friday off, ride up your way on Friday and then ride to Coffs with you on Saturday, then back with the others by the coast road Sunday. I suppose I'd better get organised, too much work demands at the moment to think straight.

Kim

Comment

Working...
        X