Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with Cylinder 3, Vaccum leak?

Sorry for the double post I put the original in the wrong forum :

I am having an issue with Cylinder 3. It doesnt get as hot as the other 3 and I get some sputter/backfire out of my right pipe.

Seems to run OK when the bike has been on the road for 15+ minutes but still sputters on sharp deceleration. I am thinking it is probably not related to coils, the problem doesnt appear move when I change the coil wire.

Valve gapping is write. Dont think it would be a timing issue. Has good compression so not likely a valve issue.

So I am thinking it may be a vaccum leak some place in the carb, a T perhaps? The boots and clamps are all new on both sides so they are not leaking. New air filter too.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I was thinking about cranking up the Fuel/Air screw just on #3 but I bet that will just hose my plug :P

#3 carb still needs some cleaning ? To test try swapping # 2&3 plug wires. If # 3 is still cold It is still the carb. If #2 is now cold It is ign

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
      #3 carb still needs some cleaning ? To test try swapping # 2&3 plug wires. If # 3 is still cold It is still the carb. If #2 is now cold It is ign
      Yea I did that. 3 Still stays colder. I pulled 3 apart again last time and rechecked it and recleaned the guts. I swapped the diaphrams with another carb too. The only thing I didnt do is seperate the carbs again which is why I think its an issue with a cross connect. But f it was wouldnt #4 have issues too?

Comment

Probably a dud plug on #3... easy way to find out is simply swap the plug with another cylinder. If the problem moves, you've nailed it.

Comment

have you done a carb sync yet?

Comment

There's no vacuum present at any of the carb interconnecting points.

You could split hairs and argue that if a vent line were plugged, those two carb bowls wouldn't be at exactly atmospheric (they could be slightly less), but for all practical purposes there's no vacuum there.
            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
            __________________________________________________ ______________________
            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by tfb View Post
              Probably a dud plug on #3... easy way to find out is simply swap the plug with another cylinder. If the problem moves, you've nailed it.
              It was a new plug, but I changed it out for another new plug. No better.

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
                have you done a carb sync yet?
                Nooooo been a little weary of messing with the new manometer. Never done it before lol. Perhaps sunday. But a slightly off sync wouldnt cause backfiring/sputtering would it? I did a bench sync when I put them together so they couldnt be that far off. And #3 is the one without the adjusters anyway isnt it?

Perhaps a morgan color tune... But I dont have one of those.

Comment

Betcha it's a vacuum leak on #3. If it was just sync you probably wouldn't have backfiring. Check the boots/o-rings/clamps. As Robert said, there's no vacuum between the carbs.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                    Betcha it's a vacuum leak on #3. If it was just sync you probably wouldn't have backfiring. Check the boots/o-rings/clamps. As Robert said, there's no vacuum between the carbs.
                    I replace the boots and clamps on both sides, Guess I will have to tear the carb apart again and see if I can see an issue this time. 3rd times a charm right?

Comment

Checked for exhaust leaks?

*shrug* Maybe it is sync... Sync can absolutely make a pipe cool at idle. Had it happen to me several times.

Comment

Checked for exhaust leaks?

*shrug* Maybe it is sync... Sync can absolutely make a pipe cool at idle. Had it happen to me several times.
                        Cool yes but backfire? Dunno.

After the rebuild my Fuel T is easily rotated. perhaps it has an air leak? But then I would have a gas leak too and I dont...

Exhaust leak. Hmm I dont see exhaust coming out of any place weird. I guess changing the gaskets wouldnt be to bad of an idea. I am sure they are old and crappy anyway.

I think Sunday I am gonna pull the carbs off and check my boots again and look em over. Really cant think of anything. Other than back firing at idle or on decel it runs great lol.

Comment

And the answer is......

I AM AN A$$H0LE!!!

I had the #2 L boot on #3 and vice versa! Dont think that screwed up much other than the fact the airbox side boot didnt seat right on carb three and was letting AIR IN!

So I swapped em.

Then 2 & 3 were sputtering (Only a little on deceleration, pipes were all equally hot now) So everything is locked down properly on both sides of the boots. Double and tripple checked. I turned my mixture screw out to 2.5 and was in the process of using the manometer to sync my carbs when I had to call it a day cause its late and the neighbors will bitch :P

All of the cylinders were WAY out of sync. They were good when I killed it but I wanna redo the sync in the morning and make sure it is all golder. Then take it for a test drive and see how she runs

One QUESTION!

The Motion pro instructions say the manometer tubes should all be even. But the Clymer manual using the suzuki tool say that 2&3 should be lower than 1&4. Anyone know which is right or is tool specific? The clymer manual also mentions calibrating the manometer which isnt possible on the unit I have.

Comment

If you have stock exhaust (with crossover) and stock airbox, middle two cyls should be and inch or so lower.

Comment

If you have stock exhaust (with crossover) and stock airbox, middle two cyls should be and inch or so lower.
                              I have a stock airbox but not stock exhaust. It is some after market 4 to 2....

Comment

Working...
                              X