Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grit on the cams/shims!

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to do a valve adjustment. The old gasket was a terrible mess and stuck to the aluminum, which is pitted, so I've been soaking and scraping and wet sanding the valve cover. But during this time, some grit has gotten onto the cams and valve shim buckets (probably dust and such blown onto it, my friend's garage is not exactly weather-tight). I noticed it when trying to turn the camshaft to get to another pair of shims, I can hear it, and they feel gritty. My friend says it won't hurt anything but I don't know if I believe him.

Does anyone know of a way to flush off this stuff? Like maybe pouring oil over it while sucking out the pooled up oil somehow? I'm sure there will also be little flakes of old gasket material and aluminum corrosion too, although I'm being as careful as I can.

btw I'm replacing all the gaskets I can with silicone now!

Alex

Wipe it off good, blow it down good with an air compressor? Maybe spray some WD-40 in the crevasses to get the stubborn stuff out? Turn it by hand a few times and work it until you aren't hearing grit, for sure. Then put it back together, run it a bit, and change oil/filter? Maybe do some SeaFoam in the oil and change oil again? I dunno.

Comment

Clean as much grit off as possible. Q-tips come to mind. Take the cams out if necessary. You don't want grit in there. Period. If you go spraying stuff at the foreign material it will wash down around the valve buckets which is not good. Pick up and wipe up the pieces out and do the best job possible.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Put some padding down & put the bike on it's side. Spray the top of the head liberally with brake clean or carb clean. Let it dry & pour oil over the top of the engine

Comment

Originally posted by 79-GS550-L View Post
          btw I'm replacing all the gaskets I can with silicone now!

Alex
          You mean silicone gaskets, right? Not the gooey stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Put some padding down & put the bike on it's side. Spray the top of the head liberally with brake clean or carb clean. Let it dry & pour oil over the top of the engine
            Excellent idea! I think I'll try that. I assume I should pick the bike back up before pouring the oil over it, right?

Originally posted by beby99 View Post
            You mean silicone gaskets, right? Not the gooey stuff?
            Yeah, I got a roll of stuff that's very similar to the realgaskets material... I plan on cutting out gaskets for the various covers (points, clutch, etc), and the carb bowls and tops... I am using the actual realgaskets gaskets for the valve cover and breather cover.

You guys are so helpful, I don't know what I'd do without this forum!
            :-D

Comment

keep your exposed engine parts covered with clean rags when you're not working on them.

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
                keep your exposed engine parts covered with clean rags when you're not working on them.

+1

Cinch-top trashbags are your friend.

Cinch?? Cynch?? Aw, heck - drawstring!!!

Comment

Originally posted by QuaiChangKane View Post
                  +1

Cinch-top trashbags are your friend.

Cinch?? Cynch?? Aw, heck - drawstring!!!

Great idea! The best I could come up with was taping paper towels over top. I've learned my lesson about leaving stuff exposed

Comment

Be carefully what you use for the stator cover if you are making gaskets. The thickness of the gasket is figured in to the clearances for the starter idler gear & thrust washers
                    Best idea USE THE OEM or equivalent gaskets
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-24-2007, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I simply slid the valve cover back into place when I finished working for the night.....

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                      X