electrical system redesign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    The best wire (whether you need it is a different matter) is teflon coated wire. It is harder to strip but is standard practice in miltary and avionics systems. I would only go 12G on the main power lines between R/R and ignition switch, fusebox, battery. Once the current is distributed you can switch back to 14 G.

http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/p...nded-wire.html
    that's some cool stuff. i wouldn't need to shroud/cover it. just run it and be done.

Comment

FWIW, Teflon insulation just gives you higher resistance to heat before insulation breakdown. I wouldn't spend the money for teflon in this application as the stock wiring insulation has proved itself quite well (unless you are planing to run some wires a 1/4 away from a header pipe or soemthing like that) Standard automotive wiring run in the stock locations should be just fine. If anything, go get marine grade wire because it has tinned conductors(offers more resistance to moisture corrosion) usually has more strands (for more flexibility)

Comment

Originally posted by fgrable@sbcglobal.net View Post
        FWIW, Teflon insulation just gives you higher resistance to heat before insulation breakdown. I wouldn't spend the money for teflon in this application as the stock wiring insulation has proved itself quite well (unless you are planing to run some wires a 1/4 away from a header pipe or soemthing like that) Standard automotive wiring run in the stock locations should be just fine. If anything, go get marine grade wire because it has tinned conductors(offers more resistance to moisture corrosion) usually has more strands (for more flexibility)
        Thanks, I did not realize marine grade wire as fully tinned. I did a quick goodle search and found this thread debating pros and cons. Your right corrosion resistance is more important that the higher heat resistance of the insulation

Comment

Originally posted by fgrable@sbcglobal.net View Post
          ty. i went this direction. and it is way less expensive. i also got a cool braided houseing too. it's flame reatarded and uv resistant. now for connectors
          Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2010, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X