Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

regulator rectifer

hello to you all!
    i have a gs 550 and have been having a lot of problem with the electrics have found that it has all stemed from the regulator rectifier over in the uk this are hard to come by so i have been looking around and have seen some site that state some bikes can use a car regulator rectifier does any one know if this will work or if i am going to blow the bike up iknow the car one will be a bit bigger but i beleive i can make it fit :twisted:

thanks for any replies

Lots of us use regulators from old hondas.

There are other options also and i am sure the gang will help you a great deal. All of us have saved money through our mutual support.

Comment

The Honda regulators work GREAT You should be able to find a used one at a reasonable price at a wrecking yard. You can usually find them on ebay for $15-$20 dollars and have it shipped to the UK. I have heard that they are also using the Honda reg/rec to repair Triumphs/Nortons

Comment

thanks for you replies, i think i will have a scout around to see if i can find a honda one

cheers

Comment

regulator

hi i had the same probs with my gs 1000e.
          i fitted a honda super dream unit and it works fine.
          try thtse people. www.dreamlandmotorcycles.co.uk
          it only cost ?10 and that included postage.
          best wishes dave.

Comment

cheers for that dave
            i have tried the car reg/rec and it works i do have another problem thou
            well 2 apoping in the exhaust at idle also it will not rev passed 6000 revs i figured the poping would be a rich mix but the low revs are confusing any one with any ideas???

thanks for any posts
            wayne

Comment

Runningman: Could you discuss the car regulator/rectifier mod? A lot of us have gotten stranded in the middle of no where due to bad rectifiers and it would be a big help if we could fix our bikes on the road with available parts.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

no problem i will make up a doc pics and i can email it out
                i dont think i can attach it to the forum?

Comment

Well, I just had regulator/rectifier #4 go :? Have you had time to write-up the upgrade? I can still ride as I'm just barely charging but this sucks.

Steve

Comment

Just pushing this back to the top, I've had it with stock parts...

Steve

Comment

The answer is ELECTREX. 25,000 miles and I have yet to even need to add water to the battery. :-) :-) :-) Buy an Electrex RR-10 and get on with your life. LOL

Earl

Originally posted by srivett
                      Just pushing this back to the top, I've had it with stock parts...

Steve
                      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
                        Well, I just had regulator/rectifier #4 go :? Have you had time to write-up the upgrade? I can still ride as I'm just barely charging but this sucks.

Steve
                        4TH ONE??? are you sure it is a reg/rect problem?
                        I am still on the original reg/rect on my 80 1000g, and it is over 128K miles.

95% of charging problems are related to connection/ ground problems, I have had my share of charging problems, but cleaning/ replaceing the connections, and running a separate ground from the reg/rect to the battery ground has always fixed it.

Comment

Hi Leon,
                          I'm pretty sure it is the RR again. My bike doesn't have any connections in the charging system that haven't been soldered and made waterproof 10,000km ago. My last step is to cut the red wire from the RR and connect it directly to the battery rather than allow it to go into the harness. #2 regulator was killed when the previous owner charged the bike with a car charger. #3 was killed by a broken battery cable.

I realized #4 was going as my headlight switches back and forth from bright to dim while I warm up the bike. Then I measured my voltage and it's a steady 12 when the bike is off or on.

Steve

Comment

I am still using my originals, 78 gs1000

Comment

Re: regulator rectifer

Originally posted by runningman
                              hello to you all!
                              i have a gs 550 and have been having a lot of problem with the electrics have found that it has all stemed from the regulator rectifier over in the uk this are hard to come by so i have been looking around and have seen some site that state some bikes can use a car regulator rectifier does any one know if this will work or if i am going to blow the bike up iknow the car one will be a bit bigger but i beleive i can make it fit :twisted:

thanks for any replies
                              Hi Runningman.

I am also in the UK and had 2 years of real problems with my GS charging circuit, this is what to do.
                              Replace the standard reg/rect with an Electrex part. They have a place here in the UK that you can buy from using your credit card.
                              When you fit it discard the wire that runs through the light switch and take the output from the generator for this wire directly to the regulator module (Gives max charge all the time). Also Extend the regulator ground wire and take it to the battery negative terminal so that you are not grounding back through the chassis and engine case.

Good luck Phil

Comment

Working...
                              X