Best Tire Pressure to run '83 GS750EC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Tire Pressure to run '83 GS750EC?

Hi folks sorry about the newbie question, I did a search but did not find anything useful.

Like many other things I imagine there is a better tire pressure to run front and rear versus what is stamped on the tires. This was the case for my cruiser.

Is this true for the GS? Does it matter the brand of tire....?

Thanks again in advance eh!

What tyres are yyou running ?? As construction etc does make a difference.
    Start with 32 front/36 rear, and see how it feels. Raise the rear to 38, and try it.
    Some tyres/bike geometry set ups are very sensitive, my 1150 feels very different with only 1psi pressure loss in the front.

Dink

Comment

read the tire side and go with what the TIRE manufacture recomends, the lower psi you run in there range the hot/sticker/faster wearing the tire will be.

the harder you run the tire in the range the colder/less sticky/slower wearing the tire.

i would start in the middle and change pressure according to riding condtions and what you want.
      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
      82 Kat 1000 Project
      05 CRF450x
      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer View Post
        read the tire side and go with what the TIRE manufacture recomends, ...
        What is stamped on the side of the tire is only the MAXIMUM pressure recommended by the tire manufacturer. The tire manufacturer has no idea what bike the tire is going to be mounted on, or how it's going to be loaded or ridden, so can not include that information on the tire.

The best way is to start with the bike manufacturer's recommendation, but then, they don't have any idea what tire is going to be mounted. Be sure to check inflation pressure when the tire is cold (has not been ridden for about 8 hours). Record the front and rear pressures and go for a ride. About a 50-mile ride will do nicely. Check the pressures now, when the tires are warm. They should increase about 10%. If the increase is less than 10%, the pressure was too high to start with. If theh increase is more than 10%, the pressure was too low to start with. Next time the tires are cold, adjust the pressure about 2psi and try again. You will soon have the numbers you need.

By the way, if you often ride 2-up, you will need to repeat this procedure to compensate for the extra load. A tire that is properly inflated for solo riding will be dangerously under-inflated for 2-up riding. You will probably get away with it for short trips around town, but extended road riding will overheat the tire quickly, leading to early failure.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Wow thanks folks I appreciate the input and will to some testing.

I set the thread subscription to instant email notification but I had to go to the forum site find my question and your answers....

Hmmmm.

Comment

Working...
          X