Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woohoo! "On the Road Again!" - Splines!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woohoo! "On the Road Again!" - Splines!!

Hi All,

Some of you may remember that back in Late May/Early June I had mentioned that there was a lot of "slop" in my shaftie drivetrain, and that I was guessing it was a spline problem. Several people responded that it didn't sound like splines, but was perhaps a more serious problem in the secondary gears.

In any case, I had a busy summer lined up and didn't plan to ride too much until late summer/early fall, so I went ahead and picked up a 1980 GS1000 final drive and spline set, as well as recently acquiring a 1983 "GK" final drive (which apparently has a slightly better gear set for highway cruising). My best friend called last night, wanting to borrow the bike for a ride today and I coerced him into coming out and helping me pull the rear wheel so I could swap out my soft (and hopefully trashed) splines for the harder 1980 piece. I explained to him that if the splines weren't "toast" he wouldn't be able to borrow the bike -- We both crossed our fingers as the wheel came off.

Initially the splines looked OK, and if I hadn't already spent a lot of time learning from people here who are far more capable than myself I might have reinstalled the wheel and gone on to more expensive and unnecessary repairs. Thankfully, I learned something that other people with shafties need to know!

You MUST take the splines out of the wheel hub to properly inspect them - you CAN'T tell if they're shot without removing them.

The reason is that the edge of the splines you see sticking out of the wheel don't normally contact the mating splines inside the final drive - they protrude past the mating area and don't wear. It's only after you remove the splines from the rear wheel that you can tell if there's a problem.

Sure enough, my splines were badly worn, and that was what caused the "slop" in my driveline. Now that I have the harder "pre-1982" splines on my bike I am much more confident that I will be "good to go" for the long term. By the way, ALWAYS use a quality grease (Honda Moly Lube is a very highly rated product for this purpose) on the splines whenever the rear wheel comes off to ensure that you never have a spline failure.

Oh, one other thing ... before I installed the "new" splines I very carefully cleaned the old grease and metal filings out of the final drive splines using brake cleaner and Q-tips on the recommendation of another GS'r. If you find worn wheel splines be absolutely sure you've completely cleaned out the metal filings and old grease before you install the replacement piece. Otherwise you'll likely cause premature wear to even the harder pieces in both the final drive and the wheel.

I will try to get some pictures up in the next day or so of the failed piece. I meant to take some shots of the new splines, but in the rush to get my best friend on the road I forgot to take them before it was installed.

I believe there are three reasons my splines failed:

1. The previous owner cut some corners on maintainence (although he seems to have taken good care of the bike overall) and may not have properly lubed the splines

2. The 1982 and later wheel splines are made of a softer material than previous years, and are more susceptible to problems, especially if not lubed properly

3. I ride my fully dressed bike aggressively, so I'm putting a heavier strain on the driveline than many others do.

I'll be watching the new splines as the miles roll by, but I'm cautiously optimistic that I won't have another problem with them. I didn't swap out the original final drive yet, because the GK unit needs to be cleaned up first. Once it's ready to swap in I'll have two backup final drives - the original one that's coming off the bike (in perfect condition) as well as the 1980 GS1000 unit I bought with the wheel splines just installed. If somebody is in need of a final drive let me know. The 1980 unit is a little rough, but should be able to be cleaned up nicely.

In the meantime, I'm VERY VERY happy to be "On the road again," and extremely fortunate to have not been stranded by the side of the road because the splines stripped completely out!! \\/:-D

Regards,
    Last edited by Guest; 08-26-2007, 06:35 PM. Reason: corrected a typo and added more important info!

By the way, there are two things to consider if you are looking to replace your wheel splines with the older stronger ones:

1. Pre-1982 splines are black in color, versus the silver/bronze looking newer/weaker ones.

2. Brand new replacements are supposedly ALSO made of the weaker material, so the only way I've heard of to get stronger splines is to find used ones in good condition. The ones I bought had 25,000 miles on them and looked perfect.

Regards,

Comment

Planecrazy, good for you! Good that you caught the splines and replaced them before they self-destructed totally.

That happened to me once, way back in 1987, on my 1982 GS850G. That's the last time I had any spline failure, mostly because I went to the "old" type right away. I have a set of "old" black splines on both my rear wheels, spreading the little wear among two sets rather than one. Each of the spline sets is off an old GS850G.

Glad you caught the failing splines before you were stranded in Timbuktu. :-D

Another way to pick up a set of wheel splines is to get a rear wheel off a 79, 80, or 81 GS850G or GS1000G. EBay has these for auction all the time. Chances are the rear wheel contains the spline set in excellent condition.

I hope the rest of big shaftie owners on this forum pay attention to the warning you just posted.

It's important for everyone to know that the "old" (good) spline set interchanges perfectly with the "new" (bad) one, and they both mesh perfectly with whatever rear end is used. All rear ends off GS850G's, GS1000G's, and GS1100G's are interchangeable. This includes the "L" models and the "GK" as well.

Let us know if the GK rear end makes a noticeable or negligible difference from a rider's standpoint. I have a 1984 GK, so I must have the higher-geared unit.

Comment

Good additional advice, Nick ... thanks!

I'll let you know if I find an appreciable difference with the "GK" unit in place. Obviously you are already enjoying the better of the two options, assuming there IS a difference. Like many owners of the "G" series, I've often wished for a 6th gear to make the engine a little less "busy" sounding while cruising down the highway. I'm hoping the "GK" final drive will help a bit, and am more than happy to give up a touch of lower end acceleration in trade.

Regards,

Comment

You know Steve, "E" models don't have splines, and I can get a rear sprocket anywhere...
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            You know Steve, "E" models don't have splines, and I can get a rear sprocket anywhere...
            Yep ... I know it, Pal, but I just love that this is likely the last and only time I'm EVER going to need to replace my spline set! I WILL give you the "nod" that it IS easier to change gear ratios with a chain and sprocket setup, though. ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X