Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil pressure light then stalling - new owner/driver

Hello,

I'm new to owning a bike and to bike maintenance (great combo I know).

I purchased a Suzuki GS400L (1982) in Febuary. It was well maintained before with good records and I've been driving it on nice weather weekend days.

Shortly after the purchase in April I did an oil change at 69,505.1km. I've checked the oil levels since then (on centre stand) and the oil level hasn't changed. This owners manual wasn't specific about if the dipstick needed to be screwed in for checking the level. With the dipstick not screwed in its just at the full line which mean screwing in the dipstick puts the oil level a bit over. There is no leaking around the engine and no spots on the floor after parking for a week.

At close to 70396.6 km the oil light has come on. I've checked the level, still fine. The oil still looks nice and clear. I haven't needed to add any oil. I'm over 3 months but well under the owner's manual 5000 km recommended oil change.

So I had driven the bike for a block and it stalled at the stop sign (engine warm, choke in). Then stalled at the next stop (uphill) so I went home and parked the bike. I'm fairly new to the bike. I don't have a full tank of gas but I believe I have enough fuel that it isn't stalling because of that. The last time I needed the reserve tank the bike stalled and needed to be switched to reserve before it would start again but this time it starts fine and stalls at the stop.

So my questions:
    Why the oil light?
    Dipstick screwed in to check levels?
    Why the stall?
    Could my problem just be low on gas? Should I switch to reserve and try driving it to tank up?

I'm assuming the oil light is an oil pressure light? It is just on when I start driving in first but then goes off. At the time of the oil change I didn't change the filters (the oil we removed was very clear and clean). Should I change the oil filter?

I'm reading through the forums but haven't found anything specifically relating to my problems. I'm working on my problem right now but thought I would put out some questions for feedback.

Thanks for any information,
    Cereus

oil light possibility

What kind did you change to? When I changed to synthetic (0W-40), the oil started coming on often when revs dropped down to idle. Changed back to regular motorcycle type 10W-40 and the problem went away.

No thoughts on the stalling, though.

Comment

You are checking the oil properly; do not screw in the dip stick and have the bike on the center stand.

Might be as easy as rkubik states, also could be poor electrical contact on the pressure switch. Of course it's hard to say but most likely the problem is not your oil filter although you should change it with each oil change.

The 450 has an automotive style plain bearing crank which means it has a high pressure oil pump. There should be an access port on the right side of the engine where a gauge can be hooked up - might be a good idea to check. Last thought is you have crud blocking the oil pump pickup screen. It's pretty easy to clean but it's a messy job - sump cover on the bottom of the engine will have to be removed, which means removing the exhaust. Again, not hard even for a beginner.

Hope this helps and good luck.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

oil used

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
        What kind did you change to? When I changed to synthetic (0W-40), the oil started coming on often when revs dropped down to idle. Changed back to regular motorcycle type 10W-40 and the problem went away.

No thoughts on the stalling, though.
        I don't know what oil was in the machine earlier. I put in Castrol GTX SAE 10W-40 (but needed to top up with some Kawasaki M4 10W-40; turns out I didn't have enough Castrol).

As for the stalling, I was planning a two day road trip on the next weekend with friends. I'm trying to figure out quickly if I should just bring the bike in for repairs or if might be something simple I could do. I'd hate to bring it in if I was just stalling because of low fuel.

Comment

Update on bike

Thanks for the tips from everyone,

Since I have limited equipment and was told an oil light is a serious issue I had the shop come and pick up the bike.

The results: new plugs were needed (probably the cause of the stalling). A cam chain adjust and pilot? leaned out. Just general maintenance. They checked the oil pressure sensor and said it was fine and I haven't seen the bike yet but I assume the oil light isn't an issue anymore.

On that note, what kind of basic maintenance do people do. I check oil, tire pressure, signals and lights, chain oil. How often do you check chain tension? I feel comfortable doing an oil change but what new skills could I add to my list? Anyway, I'm just going through the forums and reading to keep learning.

Thanks again,
          Cereus

Comment

Working...
          X