Hot weather=no choke needed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot weather=no choke needed?

Has anyone else found that in these 90 degree days you can start your GS even after cooling off all night without any choke whatsoever? Or does this mean my GS650G was jetted too rich by a PO? When I bought my bike I was shown a bag of carb jets that had supposedly been taken out by a PO and replaced, but I've never delved into the carbs to see what's in there. Anyway, my bike will start right up and idle smoothly without benefit of the choke these days.

Any mods to the bike? It might be telling you the idle mixture screws are rich or the pilot jet is rich.
    I choke my bike at 100 degrees +.
    Start the bike w/out choke. Let it idle for a few minutes without touching the throttle. Kill it and read the spark plugs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have a 650 here with pods and a pipe, it needs about 20-30 seconds of choke before it will idle smoothly. The 850 needs about a minute or so. Sounds like yours is a bit rich, but read the plugs, like Chef suggests, to see just how rich. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My GS1100GK will start in warm weather without choke. Just push the button, give it a little gas, and a few seconds later it's idling just fine.

This is the 8th riding season I've had this bike, which has a total of 121,000 miles, of which 96,000 are mine. It's always behaved this way, starting in summer without choke. I consider it normal, therefore. My fuel mileage is a dependable 40 mi/gal.

My two GS850GZ's, which I rode from 1986 thru 1996, did the same thing.

Even in cooler weather, I don't have to choke much, or for very long.

Comment

My 850 won't start cleanly without choke, even in 38 degs C temps. This is especially true after a spell of 2-3 days since it's last run. I takes around a minute before it will idle without choke. In winter months, it takes 2-3 minutes before being able to pull away with around 1/4 choke.
          Your carb jetting is too rich if you don't need some choke after a 24 hour break.
          :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
          GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
          GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
          GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
          http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

If my bike were jetted too rich, then

1. My plugs would indicate that it is. They don't, year after year.

2. My fuel mileage would be much less than the 40 mi/gal I've been getting since I bought it 8 years ago.

3. I would spew black smoke out the tailpipes, which I don't. I lead group rides often, and people behind me would've informed me of a condition such as this.

I had a 1979 GS850GN which took forever to get warmed up with the choke, so, 49er, this is not unusual for this bike.

My GS1100GK has stock exhaust system and the stock jetting. How can it be rich?

Comment

If all is stock.The GS 1100GK could have the float levels set too high or the pilot screws are set rich.

Comment

I will check the plugs at next opportunity. My thinking is that in the hot weather the carbs are probably warmer after sitting all night than they would be after five minutes of riding in mid-winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                  If my bike were jetted too rich, then

1. My plugs would indicate that it is. They don't, year after year.

2. My fuel mileage would be much less than the 40 mi/gal I've been getting since I bought it 8 years ago.

3. I would spew black smoke out the tailpipes, which I don't. I lead group rides often, and people behind me would've informed me of a condition such as this.

I had a 1979 GS850GN which took forever to get warmed up with the choke, so, 49er, this is not unusual for this bike.

My GS1100GK has stock exhaust system and the stock jetting. How can it be rich?
                  Ok, horses for courses. I still think that Walt could have a valid point!
                  :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

If your plugs aren't fouling and its smooth I wouldn't worry too much. You might be a little rich.

How's your air filter? Do you live on a mountain?

Comment

My 650 sits in an air conditioned garage and requires 2 minutes of choke before it will idle at 1000 and after riding hard and stopping it will be at 1100 to 1200 in this intense heat.It usually always idles at 1100. All 4 plugs are perfect when pulled to check.Dont worry about it, just ride!!!

Comment

tconroy, you're right. Some folks around here tend to worry too much and not ride and enjoy enough.

Comment

If you know your bike well it will tell you when there is something wrong.Just dont ignore the signs.A few months ago everyone around here told me I was working on my bike too much but now its them saying "my forks are leaking, my cam cover gasket is leaking,my plugs are fouling etc.etc.etc, and Im riding all the time with my bike in top condition while there whining about the problems they have had since spring and neglected to get on them and get them fixed!

Comment

Originally posted by tconroy View Post
                            If you know your bike well it will tell you when there is something wrong.Just dont ignore the signs.A few months ago everyone around here told me I was working on my bike too much but now its them saying "my forks are leaking, my cam cover gasket is leaking,my plugs are fouling etc.etc.etc, and Im riding all the time with my bike in top condition while there whining about the problems they have had since spring and neglected to get on them and get them fixed!
                            Yeah, there's no substitute for regular maintenance. It doesn't need to be over the top either. You can't beat a reliable set of wheels, whether they're 2 or 4.

Comment

Just a couple of hours a week to look things over and tinker will keep it running ! I just took my speedo cable off and greased it today and it took all of 15 minutes to do.Taking the back brakes out and cleaning them up and the pins and posts takes about 1/2 hour at most.Just little things like that will help tremendously.Dont forget to check your tires and air pressure before you ride too! I cant afford a new bike so this one will have to do for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                              X