Valve Cover Hose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Cover Hose

What is the purpose of the hose that comes off the top of the valve cover, and connects to the air box? I have pod filters now, and am wondering what to do with it exactly. Is it normal for vapor to come out of it? I'm not sure if its steam, or smoke or what. Thanks!

It's a breather hose for engine gasses.If it's got smoke coming through when the engine's hot the piston rings are toast...check your compression readings.
    If it's steam when the engine's cold it's just condensation..don't worry.

Comment

Ouch, not what I wanted to hear. How hard is it/ what special tools do I need to do a ring job? Will I need new pistons, and cylenders bored at the same time? Also, before I jump the gun and get all depressed, what's the compression supposed to be?

Comment

Are you sure it blows smoke when it's hot? Some vapour's normal. If it runs ok and doesn't use much oil I wouldn't bother too much. I don't know what the compressoins should be on your bike but I;m sure someone here knows...

Comment

When it heats up, some kind of gas comes out of it, not in a big hurry though. It kinda wafts out, like it was exhaling softly. I've only had the bike for a year, but have not noticed a degradation in performance, rather with the addition of pods and a 4 into 1 performance has increased. Also, it doesn't consume much oil, and the oil it does lose could probably be attributed to a couple of small leaks, rather then burning it. I am starting to feel the panic subside, but need to do a compression check to be sure, or maybe a leak down test. Anybody know what a leak down test costs?

Comment

Some light smoke is normal. My jet kit came with a small clamp on filter which I then zip tied to a frame rail. Unless it's billowing out thick white smoke don't sweat it.

Comment

hose

If you are really fussy plug a filter into the hose to stop any small particials of dirt entering the motor.(inside the cover there should be some mesh) Or you can run the hose into a small catch-bottle with another hose running out for a breather just like race bikes did.

Comment

Per the factory manual the pressure should be 130-185 psi with a low limit of 100 psi. Max difference between high and low is 28 psi.

Comment

Smoking is normal. You've got oil pouring over the hot combustion chambers making the smoke. K&N has filters for that. Without the airbox you have room to run the hose in the space it took up and place the filter or a catch bottle there. You can make a filter out of PVC parts stuff with filter fiber and continue the hose out to the rear of the bike so you don't end up with an oily mess under the seat.

Comment

Thanks All!

Comment

Some smoke and oil residue (vapour) is normal. I run a clear vinyl hose to the rear, mine exits under the signal light. If you mount a K&N breather filter under the seat it will fill with oil and drip all over leaving a real mess ( I talk from experience).

You can see the clear tube just above the rear left signal light.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Ok this is how I did it and I think it's pretty cool.

I had the same situation, pod filter, vapor blowing all over the motor. I ran a hose down near the battery. I mounted a catch can. For the catch can I used an empty bottle of NOS Octaine Booster. I ran the hose about 3 in. into the bottle and sealed the top. Then I drilled 4- 1/8 in. holes near the neck. It works well and I get a few double-takes when people notice that signature blue bottle peeking out from behing the side cover. Just be careful to keep it away from the rear master cylinder. Mine ribbed for a while before I noticed it. I have pics but they are on my PC and I don't know how to upload them to include in this post.

Comment

How about directing the vapour onto the chain ( it is a chaindrive isn't it) and save buying a chain -luber??

Comment

Originally posted by halfwitt
                            How about directing the vapour onto the chain ( it is a chaindrive isn't it) and save buying a chain -luber??
                            Dangerous, since it is smoke you're taking a big chance on slowly oiling the tire as well.

Comment

Hmmm... My breather hose filter has been tied to a frame rail under the seat/tank and never dripped any oil, or made a mess of any kind.

Comment

Working...
                              X