New GS owner with staring problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS owner with staring problems

Brand new to GS's and this great site. I just got an 83 GS11003 , red with the black engine. I love it but am having some starting issues.

Its got 35k on it, so Im looking for the laundry list of what I should start looking at and checking over.

Twice now, if I left it for more than a few days, it wont start. Starter sounds fine, its just not kicking over. I plug it in to a trickle charger and wait a day or two and try again. Sometimes this is enough sometimes it takes a couple days of this. Once it running, it runs perfect and starts super fast the next time I go to ride. Its only if left for a few days.

Been trying to learn more about the GS electrical and starting issues but want to say hi as well.

Anyone got suggestions?

Check the Battery History. If it is more than a couple years old get a new one. Remove and reinstall the sensor thats in one of the battery cells. Once it starts and is running put a volt meter on the battery. If it shows something less than 14vdc grab a beer (or more) and read the Stator Papers and use the search feature.

Alot of charging issues can be cleared up by cleaning wiring connectors. Look close at the connector for the regulator / rectifier (R/R). Thats what cured my charging issue.

Good luck & Welcome. Nice Bike!
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Check the Battery History. If it is more than a couple years old get a new one. Remove and reinstall the sensor thats in one of the battery cells. Once it starts and is running put a volt meter on the battery. If it shows something less than 14vdc grab a beer (or more) and read the Stator Papers and use the search feature.

Alot of charging issues can be cleared up by cleaning wiring connectors. Look close at the connector for the regulator / rectifier (R/R). Thats what cured my charging issue.

Good luck & Welcome. Nice Bike!
      What Dave Said! Clean those connections, all of them and retest. That was the only problem with mine as well. When you put them back together, use dielectric grease as this will end the oxidation in the connectors. Good luck and welcome aboard! :-D

Comment

started!!

plugged it in to the trickle charger and waited 2 days and it started right up, real smoky at first and then ran like a dream?

looked over everything and made sure it was clean. It was shiny, so I guess its time to read the stator papers.

wont have much time on it till this weekend but wanted say Im up and running.

any other suggestions or tips about aftermarket starters and coils etc. would be helpful-

Comment

What are you staring at?? What is the problem

For coils the Dyna 3ohm green ones work, as do the accell.

First thing to try is to run a big earth lead direct from RR to battery Neg post. Seems to cure it in about 50% of cases. If it doesn't work it won't do any harm & you can just continue with the rest of the tests on the stator papers.

Dan
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            What are you staring at?? What is the problem

For coils the Dyna 3ohm green ones work, as do the accell.

First thing to try is to run a big earth lead direct from RR to battery Neg post. Seems to cure it in about 50% of cases. If it doesn't work it won't do any harm & you can just continue with the rest of the tests on the stator papers.

Dan

My sentiments exactly... on all points (even if your ignition, like many of my comments, are pointless).

First of all, stop staring!

Secondly, that big ground wire is important. It will prevent further problems from cropping up.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. sharkmartin,

I just wanted to say...

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Note that "good standing" implies pictures. :-D

There are a few primers here that will serve you well. You mentioned the Stator Papers. There's also the Carburetor Rebuild series. There's even a tome somewhere on changing tires. Feel free to search the forum because a lot of questions have already been asked and answered.

This is a great bunch of people who are teaching me to be a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider. Welcome aboard!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
              (The unofficial GSR greeter)

Comment

Did you check your battery and charging system as suggested? What did the meter show you?
                I ask because as I read thru the thread I see where the battery voltage check was suggested but not your response. I probably missed it, but hey, can't hurt to ask...
                Wayne

Comment

If the bike has good power to the starter after sitting a few days you might try priming the bowls with the prime option on the petcock.
                  I would check the petcock for good fuel flow.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My 83 GS1100E is the same way. The longer I wait to start it the harder. And if the battery isn't almost fully charged I can forget about it starting period. I do need to do the electrical connector cleaning/reseating mentioned. I hope this will help make the high beam failure idiot light stay off.
                    1983 GS1100E owned since 1992. SOLD!
                    1990 RM250L since 1989.
                    1986 XR250R since 1987. SOLD!
                    1968? Suzuki B100P. SOLD!!!
                    2 1992 XR100R's since 1995? for wife and daughter.(Just sold one 12/26/2016)
                    1993 Z50R for other daughter but about to sell since she has out grown it. SOLD!!!
                    2002 DRZ400S 12/04/10 SOLD!
                    2006 DR650SE since May 2012
                    2005 DL1000K5 since January 2013
                    Green is just another color.

Comment

check the petcock and make sure that it is working properly. white smoke out of exhaust. could be from fuel being sucked through the vacuum line of the petcock. also, check the spark plugs and make sure they are not realy black or corroded. I had similar problem and ended up being exactly that.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                        If the bike has good power to the starter after sitting a few days you might try priming the bowls with the prime option on the petcock.
                        I would check the petcock for good fuel flow.
                        wow I feel like a noob. Cleaned all the connections and was trying to find some time check more electircal stuff and then read this post about prime setting on petcock. I know this sounds dumb but Ive only owned earlier bikes and the guy that sold it to me told me to leave the GS petcock in the on position. I have had no problems , even smoke, since using the prime if the bike sits for a few days.

Thanks for all the help.

oh and as for the spelling, well hopefully Ill be "staring" at some open road more often before it gets cold in Missouri.

Comment

Glad you got it worked out. Your float needles and seats might need a look at if the float bowls are draining after a few days.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkmartin View Post
                            hopefully Ill be "staring" at some open road more often before it gets cold in Missouri.
                            Just don't make eye contact with a bike that big until it knows who's the boss.
                            and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                            __________________________________________________ ______________________
                            2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkmartin View Post
                              wow I feel like a noob. Cleaned all the connections and was trying to find some time check more electircal stuff and then read this post about prime setting on petcock. I know this sounds dumb but Ive only owned earlier bikes and the guy that sold it to me told me to leave the GS petcock in the on position. I have had no problems , even smoke, since using the prime if the bike sits for a few days.
                              Be sure not to leave it on Prime all the time! If you do then sooner or later you're going to end up with a crankcase full of gas.

And not just after a taco bell run.

-/\/\ac

Comment

Working...
                              X