Why were my pilot screws seized so bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why were my pilot screws seized so bad?

I've made a complete mess out of it at this point, but I still don't understand why they were such a booger.

I can't get them out at all, even not worrying about f$cking 'em up. I can't even drill 'em out with a LH bit.

They're not brass as I first thought. Would have explained why the slots let go so fast. They ain't magnetic so I'm guessing they're stainless.

I thought it was common knowledge that aluminum and stainless don't play well together?

A simple job has gone absolutely pear-shaped. It's no wonder most shops turn old bikes away.

Cheers

I had to replace a carb because of those suckers. :? I totally buggered it.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah, that's what I'm looking at too. I can't find a machine shop that will look at it either.

Comment

If you can get them up to a point, and aren't too picky, you can cut off the top of the housing and then cut a slot down into them with a thin cutoff wheel.

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH.
        Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

You know, I thought about that early on and then discarded the idea. I was afraid of a passage or something that would get fubared if I did that. Now it's too damn late.

Cheers

Comment

Did you break or crack the carb body?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

No, but the first couple of threads can't be in too good a shape.

If I could get them out I might be able to clean the threads up.

Comment

ApexHack,

Had to do this last week. Using a dremel with a cut off wheel I cut about 2/3 of the dia and a 1/3 of the height of tower off. This gives you room to see and work. Then starting with my smallest drill bit I stepped up one size at a time. Stop before you get out to the threads. It's important to use a good center punch and make a really good dimple to locate the first bit. Before I tried to back it out I cleaned the threads out with a dental pick. Anything with a good point will do. After that I used an easy-out and carefully backed it out. You can buy a tap, 5 x 0.5, for less than 5 bucks to clean up the threads. The key is to take your time and have the carb locked down so it doesn't move.

Good luck
                Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2007, 10:23 PM.

Comment

I don't know what I did to **** off the universe, but I've never had such ****ty luck.

You guessed it, I broke the ****ing extractor off in the one that was left. That's the end of that one.

Someone just shoot me please.

Comment

Sorry you have had so many challanges. There are quite a few of us that have had similar problems so you are in good company. Maybe someone here has a spare carb body they can sell you for cheap?

Good luck.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I'm getting my threads mixed up. There is a forum member sending me some, so all is not lost. I'm just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.

I'm usually very good with this kind of stuff, but this just ain't my year.

Comment

Sorry to hear that happened. If I had a spare carb I'd send it your way. When I find myself at the point your at, I take a break and do something distracting. Blond, red head, whatever :-D. I know this sucks from having been there several times myself.

Good luck,

Comment

Getting screws out

Hi guys,

faced the same issue all four were stuck not only that the screw heads had gone flat.

Tried using the reverse threads but they were eating the brass. Finally took them to a workshop. He drilled a guide hole and drilled a smaller hole (diameter of the thread without the thread e.g if the toal diameter along with the thread is about 5 mm - he drilled a 4 mm hole - but he did require a sample - luckly i had one) - so when he drills the hole it does not screw the thread. Took them all out in 10 min. Use a rethreader overthat - just in case.

worked like a charm. Dont try and do this at home - take it to a professional it quicker and cheaper.

Comment

I'm thankful I was able to remove all my pilot screws in spite of the head of one of them being very messed up. I ordered a new one from a local dealer today. $13!? :shock: When I tried to screw a good one into the bore I discovered the threads are messed up. Looks like I'll be buying a tap and hoping that I'm able to get it right the 1st time.
                            What a hassle!
                            Willie in TN
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Working...
                            X