GS750L Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750L Oil Leak

I picked up an 80 GS750L that used to be my dad's for $200. The bike had set up for about 5 years and needed a pretty heavy duty carb clean. Long story short - we've got the bike running (father/son project), and i'm finding it much more comfortable to ride than my 85 Honda Shadow 500. The problem is i'm not too sure how reliable it is. My number one concern is that it appears to be leaking oil right in the center of the engine (in the front near the pipes) at the head gasket. Is that typical for this bike? If so, how bad is the repair job and cost of the head gasket?

By the way - thanks for a great site!!

Is it between the head and the cylinders or the valve cover and the cylinders? If it's just the valve cover it's a cheap, easy fix.

Comment

I think it's between the head and the cylinders. If I "goose" the throttle, it kind of spits oil out around the head gasket - at least that's what it looks like. It doesn't drip oil if it's not running. I can leave the bike sitting and no oil accumulates on the ground. If it's the head gasket - am I going to be unhappy?

Comment

Sounds like the head gasket. Clean the area up good and see if you can tell for sure where it's coming from. If it is the head gasket you are not going to be happy. If you can't fix it yourself it's not going to be cheap. BTW, I meant the valve cover and the head earlier, but I guess you figured that out.

Comment

Go for it!!!!!!

Meuby.......
          It all seems to point toward a headgasket alright huh?. You CAN fix it yourself! Trust me...if you have some tools....you don't need everything all at once , you can buy what you need when you need......Buy a FACTORY service manual & follow the instructions.
          Remember......you only popped $200 for your bike, have you seen how much a new bike goes for? I'm assuming of course you can jazz her up to be pretty and all without dropping a ton of money. Also assuming you have decent tires, chain, sprockets,etc.
          Having a mechanic friend will help immensely.....and this site will virtually walk you thru it.
          Rick.........

Comment

Good News!! Tightened up the head bolts and gave the front of the engine a good cleaning. Rode for about 2 hour today and she didn't leak a drop!!! Hope this was the fix. By the way, this is my first four cylinder - man she likes the gas!!

Comment

Good job, and yes they do run great don't they?

Comment

Working...
              X