engine off frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine off frame

I have finally got my engine running right after a years worth of work. I have decided the "looks" are next. I would like to repaint my frame, tank, and fenders. I will pull the engine off (obviously). Do I need to remove the camshaft cover to make more room, or will the engine slide out without that hassle? It seems like it is a very tight fit, though I havn't taken it off the mounts yet. Its a 1982 GS650GL.

Suzuki states in every manual I have looked at that the rocker cover needs to be removed to allow enough clearance to get the engine out.
    Dink

Comment

I've been successful at just removing the rectangle plate(if applicapable) on top of the valve covers where the ventalation hose connects allowing enough clearance to remove engines on all the different GS's I've owned. I personally don't like exposing the valve train while R/R engines if it can be avoided, but Dink is correct about what the manual recommends.

Comment

I have a 1980 1100E and I got my engine out with out removing anything except the carbs.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by moto_dan
          I've been successful at just removing the rectangle plate(if applicapable) on top of the valve covers where the ventalation hose connects allowing enough clearance to remove engines on all the different GS's I've owned. I personally don't like exposing the valve train while R/R engines if it can be avoided, but Dink is correct about what the manual recommends.
          I agree with Dan on this but if you have to pull the cover for clearance, get a new heavy mil garbage bag and slide it over the top to prevent stuff from falling into the top of the head. Also, it takes two people to pull and/or replace the motor safely, especially if this is your first time to do it.

Hap

Comment

All you have to do is remove the breather cover plate on the top of the valve cover (rectangle cover with 4 bolts). Then it slides out very easily, I find it comes out easier on the right side (clutch); due to the kickstand bracket on the left. I use thin pipe insulation on the lower frame cradle to prevent (reduce) scratching to the frame.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

I got my 1100 out with just pulling the breather plate as mentioned before (and the carbs of course).
              And I agree with Hap, it's not a real good idea to do it by yourself.
              I did but won't again. Too many close calls. I got lucky but there were several times I could have busted something (including parts of me).

Comment

One trick I did to remove an engine by myself was to lay the entire bike down on its side, undo the motor, then lift the frame up off the motor. I did this in the grass after spreading out an old blanket so that the engine didn't get messed up on a garage floor. Obviously this will only work if you've pulled the front and rear ends off the frame so it's not too heavy

Of course theres no way to put it in easily if you're by yourself. So, I recommend getting help on that one

Comment

Working...
                X