Changing valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing valve cover gasket

Just a short question for hopefully an easy job..I have a small leak from the valve cover gasket on my gs1100 gk ,,my question is can i just pill the 19 bolts and replace the gasket or is there more to it that im not aware of?? thanks for any replies in advance

You also have to remove the breather cover that is on top of the valve cover. It's just another 4 bolts to remove that one.

Not sure about your GK, but you might have to do something with the fairing brackets if they are in the way. I have never had to work on one, so I don't know.

When you get your gasket, make sure you get the right one. Earlier bikes had 16-bolt covers, later ones had 19-bolt covers. The GKs might all be new enough to have 19-bolt covers, but again, I don't know for sure. I just know that I had to do some quick scrambling to find a 19-bolt cover for our '82 850. 8-[

The next time you go to pull the valve cover, try to make sure the gasket stays with the engine, not the cover. Clearance is rather minimal trying to slide the cover out the side, and the gasket might get snagged on the cam chain tower. If it stays with the engine, the cover is thinner by the thickness of the gasket, and the gasket will not get torn.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

When you get the new gasket, if it is an OEM paper type, smear a thin layer of grease (I used white lithium grease) on both sides of the gasket before you install it. This helps prevent it from sticking to one side or the other and reduces the chances of tearing it.

Mark

Comment

I use gasket tack on the head side and grease the valve cover side so you can pull the cover off several times. The gasket sticks to the head so you don't tear it while trying to clear the cam sprockets.
        I've had my cover off ten times or more with the same gasket.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X