Hard soldering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard soldering

All the bullet connectors on my bike have seen there better days so i was thinking of just hard soldering all the connections would there be anything wrong with this idea other than making it a pain to remove once soldered?

To crimp or not to crimp?

Hi Mr. cycletech565,

There's nothing electrically wrong with soldering the connectors to the wires. I would also think about crimping new connectors to the wires. Like you say, it would be less of a pain to replace the connectors if they are not soldered on, but the solder does make a better connection. I wouldn't solder the connectors themselves together. That would make replacing the subassembly much less convenient. Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If it were me, first I would clean both female and male ends with a wire brush and fine sand paper inside the female end. Hint, roll a small piece of sandpaper around a spray can tube. Then lightly squeeze the female end to get a tighter fit. Or buy all new bullet connects. I would never solder wiring on boats,cars or bikes. It only makes future work a PITA. Oh and don't forget to clean all the multi-pin connects, they will also need a cleaning too. By now the bulb sockets are in need of a clean-up as well. The one thing you may need to make new are the red and black battery wires. Corrosion will build up under the insulation. Making a jumper wire that goes between the Neg. battery post and to the eye on the ground wire from the R/R is a very important. That will help save the R/R.

Comment

First of all, I always solder the wires from the stator to the reg/rec and all the other wires from the reg/rec.

Secondly, I moved my reg/rec by lengthening the wires so that I can mount it next to the horn on the front of the frame, where it is cooled by the wind and where that ground wire is bolted directly the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by cycletech565 View Post
          All the bullet connectors on my bike have seen there better days so i was thinking of just hard soldering all the connections would there be anything wrong with this idea other than making it a pain to remove once soldered?
          That seems to be a common fix, and is electrically ok, though it makes future work (and troubleshooting if you want to disconnect wires to do it)
          much harder. Solder is also sometimes a bad thing in high vibration environments, the soldered wire is stiff, right till you get to the end of the solder, which is where it forms a stress concentration. The wire will tend to flex there and break.

I don't think you have to go that far. I suggest replacing the bullet type connectors with insulated spade (also called blade) type crimp on connectors.

Blade connectors are MUCH more reliable than the bullets.

Putting a dab of dielectric grease on all the connectors when you remate them is not a bad idea either.

Thats what I did to my bike.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice i think ill just put some new connectors on then.

Comment

Working...
            X