GS550 47 tooth rear sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 47 tooth rear sprocket

Does anyone know if a 1983-86 rear 47tooth or 48tooth sprocket will fit a 1979 gs550 cast rim. I am looking to change the 50 tooth out to lower my HWY RPM.

Any one looking to sell a rear sprocket that has less that 50 teeth for 79 GS550? I'd be willing to try anything - has anyone been down this road before?

Thanks,

Byrd

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Comment

will bigger mean higher top speed?

Comment

Yes it fits. Why do you want to lower the RPM? It won't do you any good at all. Your'e only turning 5500rpm at 70mph with the 50 tooth sprocket.

That's to say, yes I've been down this road. I'm quite sure it's a bad idea. :-) if you had a GS650 top end it might be a different story, but only might.
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

According to Z1 both generation's of GS550 use a JTR816 rear sprocket. To lower rpm you can also go up one tooth in the front - only $14.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by humblepie View Post
            will bigger mean higher top speed?
            No the other way around. Think of how a ten speed works. Same concept.
            I went from a stock 40 tooth rear sprocket to a 42 to get off the line better but it lowered the top speed. Not by much though. Three tooth on the rear = to one on the front. The front sprocket is the opposite to the rear in changing gear ratio.
            Last edited by chef1366; 08-30-2007, 12:24 AM.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              One tooth on the rear = to three on the front. The front sprocket is the opposite to the rear in changing gear ratio.
              Actually...it's the other way around. One on front = three on rear. 8-[

Lowering the gearing, higher numerically, makes the bike accelerate faster but reduces top end (assuming the original configuration of the gearing was optimized). Also, makes the bike rev higher for any given speed on the highway.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Actually...it's the other way around. One on front = three on rear. 8-[

Lowering the gearing, higher numerically, makes the bike accelerate faster but reduces top end (assuming the original configuration of the gearing was optimized). Also, makes the bike rev higher for any given speed on the highway.
                Damn it! I need to proof my words better. Thanks! \\/
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thats the problem...

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                  Yes it fits. Why do you want to lower the RPM? It won't do you any good at all. Your'e only turning 5500rpm at 70mph with the 50 tooth sprocket.

That's to say, yes I've been down this road. I'm quite sure it's a bad idea. :-) if you had a GS650 top end it might be a different story, but only might.
                  The speed limit here on the HWY is 70MPH. I need to run 75-80 for about 30 miles during my daily commute. If I don"t, I get run over and tail gaited (regardless of the lane). This pushes the RPM range into the 7000 area. A little high for 30 miles straight in my opinion on a 26 year old motor.

If I could get the RPM to around 5500rpm at 80mph I would be happy.

Thanks for the replies, I'll check into Z1

Comment

Originally posted by byrdman76 View Post
                    The speed limit here on the HWY is 70MPH. I need to run 75-80 for about 30 miles during my daily commute. If I don"t, I get run over and tail gaited (regardless of the lane). This pushes the RPM range into the 7000 area. A little high for 30 miles straight in my opinion on a 26 year old motor.

As you gear the bike up the rpm's will drop on the freeway but the bike will have a harder time getting away from a stop and will accelerate slower during roll on acceleration since the engine will be in a lower part of the power curve. The amount of engine speed reduction you are talking about is huge; from 7000 to 5500, and is not realistic. If you move up one tooth on the front sprocket and a couple down in the rear you will drop about 500 rpm which is about as much as is advisable.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Only 500RPM - are you sure?

As you gear the bike up the rpm's will drop on the freeway but the bike will have a harder time getting away from a stop and will accelerate slower during roll on acceleration since the engine will be in a lower part of the power curve. The amount of engine speed reduction you are talking about is huge; from 7000 to 5500, and is not realistic. If you move up one tooth on the front sprocket and a couple down in the rear you will drop about 500 rpm which is about as much as is advisable.
                      I thought that I would get a bit more than that - but I could very well be missing something here...

Please let me know if this doesn't sound right

Lets take the ratio of 5500RPM = 70MPH Then take the gear ratio of the drive train. 15:50 = 3.3333333333

5500RPM/3.3333333 = 1650 (rear wheel RPM)

1650 RWRPM = 70MPH

Now take the 16:47 Gear ratio = 2.9375.

5500RPM/2.9375 = 1872 RWRPM

1872 RWRPM = 78.82MPH @ 5500RPM.

This would put me where I would want to be on the HWY. What it would do to the bottom end would be a different story. The only way to find out would be to try it but if I would only drop my RPM's by 500 as you said it wouldn't be worth it.

Has anyone truly tried this on a 550? what sprocket changes (specific teeth) were made and what was the out come.

Thanks -

Comment

I thought that I would get a bit more than that - but I could very well be missing something here...

Please let me know if this doesn't sound right

Lets take the ratio of 5500RPM = 70MPH Then take the gear ratio of the drive train. 15:50 = 3.3333333333

5500RPM/3.3333333 = 1650 (rear wheel RPM)

1650 RWRPM = 70MPH

Now take the 16:47 Gear ratio = 2.9375.

5500RPM/2.9375 = 1872 RWRPM

1872 RWRPM = 78.82MPH @ 5500RPM.

This would put me where I would want to be on the HWY. What it would do to the bottom end would be a different story. The only way to find out would be to try it but if I would only drop my RPM's by 500 as you said it wouldn't be worth it.

Has anyone truly tried this on a 550? what sprocket changes (specific teeth) were made and what was the out come.

Thanks -
                        Your numbers look about right. By going up one in front and down three in rear (I suggested 2 down in rear) you will drop the rpm from 5500 rpm @ 70 mph to about 4847 rpm @ 70 mph. Using my suggested sprockets, 16/48, the rpm would be about 4950.

If you gear the bike up that much it's going to run like a dog and have very little roll on power. To maintain any given speed on the highway you are going to have to use a good deal of throttle. To pass, you will have to downshift quite a bit.

Suzuki designed the GS engines to rev. It doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. In fact, engine loads are lower with the engine spinning at higher rpm. I say go up one on the front sprocket and be done with it. The bike will be slow to accelerate but not tragically so. Just my opinion of course.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Your numbers look about right. By going up one in front and down three in rear (I suggested 2 down in rear) you will drop the rpm from 5500 rpm @ 70 mph to about 4847 rpm @ 70 mph. Using my suggested sprockets, 16/48, the rpm would be about 4950.

If you gear the bike up that much it's going to run like a dog and have very little roll on power. To maintain any given speed on the highway you are going to have to use a good deal of throttle. To pass, you will have to downshift quite a bit.

Suzuki designed the GS engines to rev. It doesn't seem to hurt them one bit. In fact, engine loads are lower with the engine spinning at higher rpm. I say go up one on the front sprocket and be done with it. The bike will be slow to accelerate but not tragically so. Just my opinion of course.

I'll get the 16 for the front first and try it in stages. I'll make sure to also post up on my findings. The bike just seems to be wound up pretty tight at anything above 6000RPM - it gets buzzy. The bike will pull to 100MPH and approx 9000RPM but it sounds and feels like it could blow at any moment. The tach is a little strange, sluggish almost. It dosent seem very quick to respond to change - is this normal? The drive inside the valve cover seems fine but I have to maintain the same rpm for a few seconds to get a reading that seems correct. The tach cable seems fine as well.

I adjusted the valves when I first got the bike about two years ago - maybe 2000 miles. I might go back in and check them again just to make sure I'm not loosing power in that area - I'll also knock out a compression check at the same time. I'm confident the rest of the fuel and ignition is solid.

Comment

It's not a little high. What you'll be doing is pushing the bike out of where it makes power. which means you may not even be able to achieve 90mph. With the stock gearing, the bike is drag limited, not redline limited.

The age of the motor is irrelevant. Chronological age does not affect the strength of components in a motor. Mileage can.. but Suzuki designed their motors well and they effectively do not wear with age.

I have at least 12 hours of 100+ mph riding on my 60,000 mile 1980 GS550E motor. 100mph is 8250rpm IIRC.. It's been a while since I've ridden my 80. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :-)
                            You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                            If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                            1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                            1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                            1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                            1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                            1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
                              It's not a little high. What you'll be doing is pushing the bike out of where it makes power. which means you may not even be able to achieve 90mph. With the stock gearing, the bike is drag limited, not redline limited.

The age of the motor is irrelevant. Chronological age does not affect the strength of components in a motor. Mileage can.. but Suzuki designed their motors well and they effectively do not wear with age.

I have at least 12 hours of 100+ mph riding on my 60,000 mile 1980 GS550E motor. 100mph is 8250rpm IIRC.. It's been a while since I've ridden my 80. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. :-)

I rode into work today at about 75mph/6000rpm - and it didn't blow up :-D If i keep the rpm sustained it seems to settle down vibration wise, but it sure seems like its working hard. The vibration at anything above 5grand just seems excessive (any gear).

I'm going to check the timing, valve clearances, compression, and I might even check the clutch since I haven't ever inspected it. Maybe its slipping at higher RPM's? It doesn't feel like it though.

My problem may be that I grew up on ZX-6's, CBR's, and Gixxer's. Maybe I'm a little cautious since this vibration isn't typical on modern sport bikes. The level of vibration may be perfectly normal for this bike.

I'll let you know...

Comment

Working...
                              X