No announcement yet.

GS550 47 tooth rear sprocket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked the compression tonight and this is what I found. Engine warmed up, all plugs pulled, full throttle. Typically turned the motor over 8-9 times to get these results. Repeated several times to get an acurate number.

cyl 1 = 135psi
    cyl 2 = 125psi
    cyl 3 = 145psi
    cyl 4 = 145psi

Is 125psi on cylinder 2 too low? Is this much variation typical - what is too much?

Pulled the valve cover and tomorrow night I'll check the valve clearances once the motor cools down.

Thanks for you help,

Byrd

Comment

I'm running a 45T in back and stock 15T in front with a 108 chain on my 78550. And it's much more comfortable on the highway. I'm thinking I could have went with a 43T in back and got away with it. Check the ratios on the JT sprocket website. I think I lowered it 1000 rpm at highway speed. Less wear on the engine too.

Comment

Originally posted by badbrown View Post
        I'm running a 45T in back and stock 15T in front with a 108 chain on my 78550. And it's much more comfortable on the highway. I'm thinking I could have went with a 43T in back and got away with it. Check the ratios on the JT sprocket website. I think I lowered it 1000 rpm at highway speed. Less wear on the engine too.
        Thanks for the heads up man. Did you loose much bottom end?

Comment

Went with the 16 up front

Man what a difference. The bike is much happier with the 16 vs 15 tooth sprocket up front. The highway is a breeze now - 75MPH at 5400-5500RPM. In addition I didn't loose any bottom end. I feel i gained a bit since I feel i can stay in first and second longer.

I did however discover something that I can not explain nor figure out and I dont believe its a coincidence. I was inspecting the clutch adjustment and noticed that the pinion assembly to engage the clutch came out when i was messing around with it. I got to looking at it and noticed that it had 4 positions that it could go in that would effect the final position of the pinion. I tried each location until the pinion in its final position would keep the dust seal on the ring assembly throughout its range of motion with the cable installed. The pinion was not in this location before it was further out or closer to the clutch rod.

I greased up the pinion and put everything back together. As soon as i fired the bike up i noticed my tachometer was actually very responsive. This thing has been sluggish since Ive had the bike and i have torn apart everything to found out why with no success - everything has always looked great.

Maybe its a coincidence, but I rode this bike the day before, have ridden it a couple of thousand miles in the same condition and as soon as I messed with the clutch pinion position and adjustment it started working like a dream.

Am I crazy or is this somehow connected?

Comment

Working...
          X