New to Suzuki and need advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to Suzuki and need advice...

Just bought a 1984 GS 1150e. Had a cam bolt back out and drop down into cases and got caught in cam chain. Needless to say, it broke the cam chain and broke off 3 teeth on the crankshaft. Anyone have a spare crank they want to sell? NOW......new to Suzuki's and looking for any and all advice I can get on motors. Here's what I know so far...the GS1150 crank has 20mm small end rod diameter so have to use pitons for that crank. That's it! What I would like to know is if this motor was used in any other models of bikes? What parts from the GS1100 motor interchange with this motor? Anything peculiar to this motor that needs to be "fixed" when rebuilding the motor? I heard the clutch basket is weak. True? If so, what needs to be done to it? Also, something about high-output oil pump gears...does that sound right? Where do you find those? Off another model bike or from a speed shop like Schnitz? Do they use the same cams as the GS1100? Trans. the same? Just looking for anything that will help in making the motor stronger and things done to the motor when rebuilding...tips, tricks, etc. Appreciate all the advice I can get.

I'd call Ape at 661-256-7309. Big Jay will help you. It's not going to be cheap unless you can find a used one on Ebay or a member (probably a dragbike guy or gal) has an extra one lying around.
    Start a thread in "parts wanted".
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi racer54 & welcome to the GS world! If you want an 1150 crank I have one that only has 6000 miles on it. I bought the entire motor from a friend who built a dragbike from a CHERRY 1150 & he put a 1428 motor in the bike. Call me at 714-356-7845 & I will answer any questions I can help you with. Also, if you want to put an 1100 crank in, it drops right in but you have to use a clutch hub with an 1100 gear on it. Either way you can still bore the stock block 3 mm bigger & have a 1229. I like the 1100 cranks for dragrace motors as the 493 rods are the strongest Suzuki rods. To build a motor that will live you MUST do a few things. They are as follows: welded crank, good clutch hub, 16 valve GS750 oil pump gears, manual adjust cam chain tensioner, & undercut trans. This is just the basic start for a good foundation. Most of the parts from BOTH engines are interchangeable. The wrist pin size dictates which piston you use on which crank as does the difference in tooth count on the clutch hubs. The transmissions are SLIGHTLY different but are interchangeable. I will help you if I can as I have raced these 16 valvers since 1982. I have LOTS of parts & can help you find parts I don't have. Good luck, Ray.

Comment

Hey howdy hey!

Mr. racer54,

Let it be known that on this day you are cordially and formally welcomed to the GSR Forum as a Junior Member in good standing with all the rights and privileges thereof. Note that "good standing" implies pictures! :-D

I see you're getting to know your way around here already. This is a great bunch of motorcyclists who are teaching me to become a better motorcycle mechanic and a better motorcycle rider. Thanks for joining us and welcome aboard.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

On the GS750 oil pump gears to use....do you use the whole GS750 pump and just bolt it on in place of the stock 1150 pump or do you just bolt the 750 gears onto the 1150 pump? Is there certain years that you need to get the gears from? Does it make a difference what model 750 you get them from...2-valve or 4 valve? If you just use the gears, is there someplace where you can buy just the gears and bolt them on? I'm going to put a new pump on it anyway so I jsut need to know what to get and do. I assume we are talking about the big drive gear and not anything internal. Do these run off the crank or off the clutch basket?

Comment

Racer54 as someone who has just recently bought a GS 1100 and a
            parts bike for it I hope someone answers your question in even more
            detail: What parts enterchange between a 1100 and a 1150?Will a 1150 bolt right in
            to a 1100 and vice versa? Where is the cheapest place to send your
            gears to be properly undercut that has decent customer service?
            Your probably looking to
            make a sub 10 second drag bike. If you are thats great. If not
            its often much cheaper to buy a parts bike with a good motor.
            So far I have learned a lot from this thread, hope it keeps going....
            Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2007, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I have sent transmissions down to R&D in florida. Have heard nothing but good things about them and the owner(Mark) is very helpful in helping you to decide what you actually need to do and need for your particular situation. My cousin is the one who bought the GS1150 but he doesn't use computers, so I'm his source of information. He is building a 1428 turbo motor for his to play with at the track, but I don't know much about these motors, so I'm here, like you to learn. Hopefully, others here will volunteer information, tips, sources and such. I know they probably forgot more than I'll ever know, but I'm like a sponge and always need to learn. Any info, no matter how seemingly unimportant it might sem, might just be what we're looking for, so feel free to divulge any performance tips, tricks, and know-how to make me a faster bike.

Comment

new but informed......

[QUOTE=racer54;701977]On the GS750 oil pump gears to use....do you use the whole GS750 pump or do you just bolt the 750 gears onto the 1150 pump?

Well I see that you frequent another well known sight for that little gem. You use the cog from the pump but I believe its the GSXr750 rather than the GS750 but I may be mistaken. The idea is that you have plain bearings as a crank rather than rollers like the earlier GS's. The plain needs a higher pressure oil feed to keep the bearings lubricated.

Its a common upgrade on drag bikes, GSXR1100, bandits and the like.......

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
                X