Fork issues again!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork issues again!!

I finished replaceing my front fork seals on my 1980 1100E by following Pete's instructions and it worked like a champ. The only problem was that on the first fork while drilled a hole in the seal in order to remove it I did not pay enough attention to what I was doing and scrached the fork tub. I took some fine sand paper and removed any rough edges but what I need to know is how serious is this problem. Is there something I can do to fill the scraches or do I need worry about it? Is this is as big a problem as I think it is where can I find a used 1980 front fork tub.

Greg

Bummer.
    Where on the tube is the scratch? Did you drill after you had the fork off and with it fully depressed? I guess the real quesion is, does is look like the scratched part is going to ride on the seal or how far from the seal is the scratch when the bike is just sitting? It may not come into play (hopefully).

Comment

With the springs back in and the forks completed the scrach is about 3 to 4 inches from the seal. I do not ride to extreme but I do think that the scrach will come in contact with the new seal.

Greg

Comment

Yeah, when you come down from those block long wheelies feather the throttle a little so is doesn't slam down .

I really don't know. If you would have said maybe 4-5 inches I wouldn't think it would get to the seal enough to matter, 3-4 is more in that gray area though. I think I'd smooth it out as much as possible with a 2000 grit sandpaper or finer and then keep an eye on it. If you wind up having to replace the fork tube you'd probably want to put in another new seal anyway so no loss there.
        Does the 80 1100E have air fittings on the forks? That may be the biggest thing (at first anyway) that would be a problem, not holding air pressure.

Comment

You can fill the scratch with JB Weld (metal epoxy) and then sand it with fine 2000 grit snadpaper.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Pete, yes my 1100E has a air fitting. Can you give me a little information why you ask? I dont think that it should be a problem because the scrach is a concern but not life thretening. I thought of useing Andre's idea and filling it JBWeld to fill but I am going to wait to see if it causes and problems first.

Greg :? :?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
              Pete, yes my 1100E has a air fitting. Can you give me a little information why you ask? I dont think that it should be a problem because the scrach is a concern but not life thretening. I thought of useing Andre's idea and filling it JBWeld to fill but I am going to wait to see if it causes and problems first.

Greg :? :?
              Just figured if it's going to start leaking because the scratch is wearing on the seal it would become non-airtight first. As it's always under pressure and air is going to leak through a much smaller place than oil would. If it starts not holding air pressure that would probably be a good indicator that the seal is starting to wear.

Comment

Thanks Pete. I may go ahead and try the JBWeld before I put them back on the bike. Do you think that it's a good idea or is it just a possible quick fix to what may be a big issue?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
                  Thanks Pete. I may go ahead and try the JBWeld before I put them back on the bike. Do you think that it's a good idea or is it just a possible quick fix to what may be a big issue?

Greg
                  If you do the JB Weld and get it on there right it'll be about as permanent as the metal it's attached to. I've never tried to shape JB Weld, never used it in a place where it mattered, so I don't know how easy it is to work, I'd have to assume a little easy than actual metal but probably not much. Without seeing the scratch it's difficult to offer an opinion as to which way to go.

Comment

Thanks Pete. I am going to wait and see if it need any work before I start something like that.

Greg

Comment

The JB will probably be ok.

The JB will probably do fine since its not going to go down below the seal that often. You can keep an eye on it. You could also sand the metal down till the scratch is gone. start with sand paper that is a little more abrasive, and work it out untill you can get to a really fine grit. The seal will work better on the slightly narowed area of fork than it will on the scatch.

Comment

Working...
                      X