i got a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i got a problem

i aquired my gs 1000e about a month ago....
    the bike had been standing so im told anything up to about 6-7 years.
    the battery and the electrics were shot so i replaced the battery with a new one replaced the reg/rectifier with a super dream item and rebuilt the loom.... hey presto every thing works.
    i reste the points changed the plugs pulled the choke bit of fresh fuel and she fired up and ran........ in a fashion..
    off with the air box and carbs. strip and clean silt and crud from float chambers ... check all jets are clear and clean... rebuild and reinstall every thing... fresh fuel again... choke on.. press start button and away she goes.
    number 3&4 cylenders fire up ok...... number 1 cuts in when shes warm
    but number 2 seems very reluctant to join the party.
    can some one please help me as the sun is shining here in the uk an im gagging to put some riding time in before the sun goes away again
    thanx all .....best wishes dave

Try new o-rings in the manifold boots.

I would try new O-rings in the manifold boots. My 850 took 2mm thick by 37mm ID. Its cheaper to buy them that way and easier than finding the right suzuki O rings. I would also make sure your filter is on good. Balance them and if that doesn't work you might need to do a compleet rebuild. A guy named Robert Barr on this site sold me all the O rings so that I didn't have to buy rebuild kits.

Comment

I would check the coil that fires plugs 1 and 4(It's the same coil). It may be on it's way out.

Comment

Hi Dave
        I bet it's the carb. Did you give them a really good clean out? When a bike 's been standing for so long the carbs usually need cleaning more than once. I had a z650 with cacked-up carbs that had the same problem - one pot not working- that finally worked after the third carb cleanout. Does #2 fire at all? e.g. at idle or nothing at all? Is the plug wet? Did you check the float height?

Comment

i got a problem

hi lads & ladies.
          thanks for your input on my problem.
          ive checked the coils and they are ok.
          checked the float heights when i stripped the carbs. they are ok.
          just one more thing.
          after i had cleaned the carbs i reinstalled them firstly with out the air box and fired the bike up. she ran quite well with the exception of number 2 cylender, when i put my hand over the air intake on number 2 carb to restrict the air flow, number 2 cylender would come in to action.
          when i move my hand away it stopped fireing.

Comment

Re: i got a problem

It doesnt run because there is a major induction leak on cylinder #2 and a bad one on cyl #3. Putting your hand over the intake richens the mixture. New "O" rings on the intake surfaces between the induction boot and cylinder head will fix the problem.

Earl

[quote="dave" when i put my hand over the air intake on number 2 carb to restrict the air flow, number 2 cylender would come in to action.
            when i move my hand away it stopped fireing.[/quote]
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

have you checked to see how it runs with the air filter housing re-installed?

Comment

i got a problem

yes my friend i refitted the air box(what a pain that was) and fired her up. number 3&4 fire up straight away. it seems the problem is between numbers 1&2 as now the air box is on some times number 1 will firebut not number 2 and other times number 2 will fire but not number 1.
                im ready to scream.

Comment

i got a problem

i see what you mean about the o rings.
                  i have just pulled off the air box and carbs to check the o rings you tell me about.
                  numbers 3 & 4 look to be ok.
                  number 1 is in need of replacement and number 2 is almost none existant.
                  so the next question is where to get replacements.???

Comment

Working...
                  X