81 gs450l oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs450l oil leak

my 81 gs 450l is leaking oil from the cam chain tensioner. it's not leaking where it attaches to the engine. on the tensioner itself is what looks like a knurled dial on top of a spring. the spring is resting on something with edges like a nut that seems to thread into the tensioner itself. that is the connestion where the leak is coming from. i am going to try and tighten it(carefully) to stop the leak. i have also been told here that the tensioner is self adjusting. if that is the case, why the need for a dial that can be turned with the spring? i am concerned i may need to turn that knurled dial for some reason but ye ol clymer says nothing about it during installation of the tensioner either. thanks for any responses. my gs has been running like a top thanks to advice given here so that's why i haven't visited in awhile. the oil leak is small and not affecting the bike but it's something i'd like to fix

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks! that pretty much covers it! looks like a winter project to me.

Comment

the tensioner in this excellent write up is not the same as mine. there are only two mounting bolts. my bike is an 81 gs450. where can i find the gaskets that will fit. internally everything looks the same but i want to be sure. old bike barn is not helping either. thanks for any help.

Comment

A few months ago, I heard back from a guy with a GS450 who successfully rebuilt his cam chain tensioner using these instructions and the part numbers given. I think you'll be fine ordering the same o-rings and seal.

The o-rings and seals are the same on most or all GS models, although the mounting gasket will, of course, be different. Many GS cam chain tensioners are shaped or angled a bit differently, but they all work exactly the same.

The seal and o-rings are around $4 - $5 total, so you're not risking much. I also give the dimensions of the parts so you can verify them against your cam chain tensioner. So far, I haven't heard from anyone who said the parts didn't fit their bike.

Lastly, look in the deadbeats section -- Old Bike Barn does not have the best reputation around here.

You'll have to order the parts through your local Suzuki dealer or your favorite internet source for Suzuki parts ( http://bikebandit.com or http://flatoutmotorcycles.com are two good ones. ) On most models, these parts do not appear on the microfiche, and very few dealers or mechanics will have this information. If you go to a dealer, they will think you're crazy, but many people have used my instructions and part numbers successfully.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X