No announcement yet.

Auxiliary gas tank for more range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah when it's all said and done I'll probably end up with cans. But I like to dream. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
      So my 700 has a fairly small tank with about 130mi range (including reserve).
      Your mileage seems especially low for your 700. I ride my '83 750 pretty fast most days and get around 36mpg. so with a 5 gal. tank(same size as yours I think) that calculates to 180 mile range. I hit reserve with .8 gal left(around 152 miles). My mods are a 4-1 pipe, stage 3 jet kit and K&N pods. With factory air box and the factory lean jets your mileage should be in the 40's unless you're keeping her pinned most of the time or idling excessively in traffic. IMO.

But as to your question as to extra fuel capacity others have offered several viable suggetions. I wouldn't however carry extra fuel in a backpack as was suggested from another site, hopefully made in jest.:shock:
      Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM.

Comment

My tank is most certainly NOT 5 gallons! It's in the high 3 to low 4 gallon range (I've read conflicting information). One look at the tank and it's obviously fairly small. The bike is running great. Well it was before the camchain broke. ;-)

Comment

Also 130 miles was a very conservative estimate based on the fact that I do not like running out of gas. ;-)

Comment

My 850L came out with a 3.4 gal tank, which has let me run, on occasion, as far as 125 miles. There is no reserve either. When I did my ride west, I carried a 2.5 gal plastic gas can in my trunk, and used it three times. Most of the time here in the Midwest, there are enough gas stations to stop every 90-110 miles, refill and stretch. I would like a 5 gal tank though:-|........

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              My tank is most certainly NOT 5 gallons! It's in the high 3 to low 4 gallon range (I've read conflicting information). One look at the tank and it's obviously fairly small. The bike is running great. Well it was before the camchain broke. ;-)
              I learn something new everyday. 700e 4.6 gals., California model 3.8 gals. . And to think I was wanting a 700 tank because of the flush cap.

Comment

I think I've got the small one... I'm not really sure that information is correct, though, as I've never seen a bigger one...

Comment

perhaps you could use a camping fuel fuel bottle stored in you tank bag. companies like MSR make them they hold like a liter or 500 ml of fuel. they are smaller than a jerry can.

Comment

Upon consultation with my Suzuki shop manual, it says 5.2 US gallons or 3.8 US gallons for California models (reserve is 4.2 US quarts for both). Can anyone confirm these 5.2 gallon tanks exist? I want one!

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Working...
                    X