47 tooth rear aluminum sprocket 78 GS1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

47 tooth rear aluminum sprocket 78 GS1000

I just took delivery of an aluminum, solid disc, 47 tooth 630 sprocket. (I thought it might've been a 530, oh well).
    It needs some buffing, but it'll look great.

Part one:
    Is aluminum OK for a sprocket?

Part two:
    I want slightly lower than stock gearing. Most of my riding is in town with the odd short (20-40 mile) shot on the hiway.

If I stay with the 15 on the front I get: 3.133333
    16 up front I get: 2.94
    17 I get: 2.76

Stock is 2.8

So I guess I've answered one of my one questions. Go with 16 up front. If you think differently let me know

Part three:

Do I need a longer chain? 98 links maybe?

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by Billyboy View Post
    I just took delivery of an aluminum, solid disc, 47 tooth 630 sprocket. (I thought it might've been a 530, oh well).
    It needs some buffing, but it'll look great.

Part one:
    Is aluminum OK for a sprocket?
    Yes, it's fine, but it'll wear up to 30% faster than steel. Aluminum does save a bit of unsprung weight though.

Part two:
    I want slightly lower than stock gearing. Most of my riding is in town with the odd short (20-40 mile) shot on the hiway.

If I stay with the 15 on the front I get: 3.133333
    16 up front I get: 2.94
    17 I get: 2.76

Stock is 2.8

So I guess I've answered one of my one questions. Go with 16 up front. If you think differently let me know
    By lower than stock, what do you mean? Do you want more off the line acceleration, or do you want lower RPMs on the top end?

Part three:

Do I need a longer chain? 98 links maybe?

Thanks guys.
    Z1 says it best:

"As roughly 1/2 of each sprocket has chain touching it, each tooth added to stock sizes will require approximately 1/2 link of additional chain. Increasing total teeth by one or two teeth can usually be accommodated by moving the rear axle forward slightly and keeping the stock chain length - but if you start changing sprocket sizes more than one or two teeth, you will need to increase chain length. Going up four teeth will require a chain 2 links longer."

Comment

aluminum sprockets

I was going to get a set of aluminum sprockets, recently and a friend mentioned that his ZX11 just busted two teeth on one, a few months ago and he said he was going back to steel. (He doesn't abuse his bike, either).

I like the idea that the aluminum is lighter than steel, that was one reason I was thinking about getting them, when I replace my sprockets next.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
        I was going to get a set of aluminum sprockets, recently and a friend mentioned that his ZX11 just busted two teeth on one, a few months ago and he said he was going back to steel. (He doesn't abuse his bike, either).

I like the idea that the aluminum is lighter than steel, that was one reason I was thinking about getting them, when I replace my sprockets next.
        I have a set of aluminum Renthal sprockets on the GSXR 750. I'm going back to steel next time around because after 8000 miles, they're already looking rather worn. The weight difference isn't that much and the average non-racing rider can't tell the difference anyway, except in their wallet.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post

Are you still going with aluminum?

80GS1000:
          I want more off the line jam. Thus the 2.94.
          So, going up 5 on the back, and 2 on the front. that's 7 teeth. I guess I'd need a 99 or 100 tooth chain?
          Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2007, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Are you still going with aluminum?

80GS1000:
            I want more off the line jam. Thus the 2.94.
            So, going up 5 on the back, and 2 on the front. that's 7 teeth. I guess I'd need a 99 or 100 tooth chain?
            Stock is 15/42 IIRC. So you're going up 6 teeth total, and need an extra 3 links from stock. Chains are only sold in even number link counts so get a 100 link 630 chain and adjust the rear axle in the swingarm to suit.

Or....

If you're already spending all this dosh on a new chain, plus new front sprocket, why not do a 530 conversion? The 530 chain is lighter and cheaper and they come in all sorts of colors....

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Sounds good! Thanks.

Comment

I just got a new chain and steel sprockets. Its an ek x ring 530 chain and I went up a tooth in the front for more top speed. I run a 17/ 43 now and the gears are a bit longer which I like. Id use to shift alot with the 16 up front and the bike would scream in 5th doing about 75mph on average.

I use to only be able to 125 mph with the 16/43. I would redline the bike in 5th. Now I can probably do 130-135mph which I wouldnt want to do anyways.

Comment

Aluminum sprockets wear out way too soon. Bad idea if you want to put any kind of decent mileage on the bike.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X