GS 850 winter projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 winter projects

Well, winter down under seems to be abating, so this week I got to test the mods I've done over the past months.
    The progressive springs have been a huge success. What a complete change to the handling and braking. I decided to increase the recommended spacer length by 6 mm. The new springs were thicker and 26mm longer than the stock springs, so the ride height has also increased slightly. I had reservations about the handling because of the increased height at the front, but the bike actually turns into corners more positively than it did previously . After some discussion on this board, I decided to use 15W synthetic fork oil (Silkoline) instead of ATF. I have found that it suits my style of riding and the types of surface that I ride on. A set of later model 850 brake calipers, master cylinder and SS lines ( Hel) have given a nice balance and additional power to the brakes. The whole package is much improved.
    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Originally posted by 49er View Post
    A set of later model 850 brake calipers, master cylinder and SS lines ( Hel) have given a nice balance and additional power to the brakes. The whole package is much improved.
    Which later model calipers did you use? Do they just bolt up? Are you using rotors off the later models as well?

My progressive springs made a big improvement as well, but I just kept my spacer the same length as stock.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
      Which later model calipers did you use? Do they just bolt up? Are you using rotors off the later models as well?

My progressive springs made a big improvement as well, but I just kept my spacer the same length as stock.
      Mark
      How did your top end rebuild work out? From memory, you were planning to go with the stock first O/S pistons. I don't recall seeing any feedback from your results!
      When you said your spacer is the same length as stock, did you re-use the steel spacer that is 76mm in length or cut up a new one to the recommended length of 44mm (1&3/4"). If you used the uncut steel one, your preload and ride height will be greater than mine.
      I sourced a set of '81 850 calipers(square pads) and a GSX master cylinder. They just bolted up to my forks. I am using my stock solid discs with no over heating issues. I now have brakes with strong activation from finger tip effort. The handling improvements mean I can run with some of the later/lighter model bikes through the faster stuff. I hadn't expected that much improvement.
      Does your clutch have the typical '79 clutch drag? I have just completely eliminated drag from mine. It has meant that my gear shifting is now smooooooooth. And selecting neutral is a breeze. Let me know if you would like the details for the fix.
      :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
        Mark
        How did your top end rebuild work out? From memory, you were planning to go with the stock first O/S pistons. I don't recall seeing any feedback from your results!
        When you said your spacer is the same length as stock, did you re-use the steel spacer that is 76mm in length or cut up a new one to the recommended length of 44mm (1&3/4"). If you used the uncut steel one, your preload and ride height will be greater than mine.
        I sourced a set of '81 850 calipers(square pads) and a GSX master cylinder. They just bolted up to my forks. I am using my stock solid discs with no over heating issues. I now have brakes with strong activation from finger tip effort. The handling improvements mean I can run with some of the later/lighter model bikes through the faster stuff. I hadn't expected that much improvement.
        Does your clutch have the typical '79 clutch drag? I have just completely eliminated drag from mine. It has meant that my gear shifting is now smooooooooth. And selecting neutral is a breeze. Let me know if you would like the details for the fix.

The rebuild is going fine, but as usual for me, very slowly. I've been super busy at work, vacations etc. and haven't had much time. Since Christmas I've rebuilt the head, rebored the block, stripped, sanded, repainted the block a universal aluminum color I liked, installed the new pistons and rings and head. Now its time to roll on a new cam chain, just waiting for some time when I can be patient enough to do the job right and not make a stupid mistake. I've been practicing on an old motor and look forward to no surprises.

I didn't know or missed the info. that 1 and 3/4 is the recommended length for the springs. I cut a new spacer to the length of my steel one. On my one big ride with it (before the head gasket blew) it had a super ride. I have a Windjammer on my bike though so maybe the extra length helps. With that much extra pre-load, maybe I should re-do that?

Thanks for the info. on what you are doing......you're way ahead of me, but its nice to have that info. At some point I'm going to put on steel brake lines and that will be it I think.

I've got a brand new OEM clutch and springs sitting in a box still in the wrappers. My clutch doesn't drag, but I do have to work at it a bit at times to get it in neutral.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.......its in the notebook.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-31-2007, 07:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
          The rebuild is going fine, but as usual for me, very slowly. I've been super busy at work, vacations etc. and haven't had much time. Since Christmas I've rebuilt the head, rebored the block, stripped, sanded, repainted the block a universal aluminum color I liked, installed the new pistons and rings and head. Now its time to roll on a new cam chain, just waiting for some time when I can be patient enough to do the job right and not make a stupid mistake. I've been practicing on an old motor and look forward to no surprises.

I didn't know or missed the info. that 1 and 3/4 is the recommended length for the springs. I cut a new spacer to the length of my steel one. On my one big ride with it (before the head gasket blew) it had a super ride. I have a Windjammer on my bike though so maybe the extra length helps. With that much extra pre-load, maybe I should re-do that?

Thanks for the info. on what you are doing......you're way ahead of me, but its nice to have that info. At some point I'm going to put on steel brake lines and that will be it I think.

I've got a brand new OEM clutch and springs sitting in a box still in the wrappers. My clutch doesn't drag, but I do have to work at it a bit at times to get it in neutral.

Anyway, thanks again for the info.......its in the notebook.
          Let me know when you are about to fit the new clutch. I will give you some help to improve selecting neutral.

Comment

Working...
          X