Crank won't turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crank won't turn

Hey my GS1100ESD fell over this sumer when I was trying to push start it and now the crank won't turn.

I have taken out the plugs, tightened the loose rotor and cleaned the sump pan of some shattered cast iron pieces.

What else can I check?

Originally posted by seb333 View Post
    Hey my GS1100ESD fell over this sumer when I was trying to push start it and now the crank won't turn.

I have taken out the plugs, tightened the loose rotor and cleaned the sump pan of some shattered cast iron pieces.

What else can I check?
    Shattered cast iron pieces???? Huh????? If that's the truth, your engine is toast, not gonna turn again until you do a complete teardown and major parts replacement............

Comment

the engine has not run since this happened

Comment

With the pan off, have you examined the innards? What are the shattered iron pieces from?

Comment

I can't think of how a simple 'fallover' would lock up a crankshaft. Especially in light of how strong the GS engine is constructed.

Think back carefully, is it possible the reason the bike fell over during a push start was because the crank was already locked up?

Comment

I'm not too worried about those little pieces, I've been working around the rotor and it being loose was my first clue.

Comment

The pieces you mention ARE a MAJOR cause for concern!!! There may be other pieces that have jammed the crank, put the bike on its centrestand in gear and see if you "rock" the motor in either direction. If it wont move, it is teardown time.

Dink

Comment

teardown

I've taken the engine apart and found one piston completely mangled along with a shattered sleve and damaged cylinder. Suggestions sound like a new motor will be required now.

Comment

Parts

Anybody need parts?

Comment

Get a grip here.......

Wait a minute.

I know that you can get replacement liners. A good machine shop will be able to do that sort of work for you. If the crank is good then a new piston and a set of rings with a refurbished barrel and you are away.

The other optionis is a 1168 big bore kit and a replacement either new or second hand barrel. If you were near to me I've got a 1168 and barrel in the garage from an ESD!!!!!

Its not toast or spare parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I rebuilt my full gearbox plus the cylinder head and mine is fine, running again like a dream!

I've got a MAD idea, if you want to give it away for parts then post it all to me in the UK and I'I rebuild.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Might be a replacement barrels for you and he may have pistons too.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
                      X