Bogging engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bogging engine

Here's my current situation, and I'm not sure if I need to just learn to live with it, or if it's fixable. When I take off the engine jumps to life, and then bogs somewhere around 2500 rpm, before jumping to life at around 2800 rpm. I have just put on a 4 into 1, and pod filters. I have also put in a stage 3 jet kit, and have gotten it to run great everywhere other then those 300-400rpm, plugs look good. Any thoughts? TIA

You're feeling the ignition advance kick in. It advances right around 2,750 rpm and that's when you feel it jump. You may be a little rich on the idle screws.

Comment

I've adjusted the screw as much as I could, and the problem got better, but adjustment is no longer doing anything, and the problem is still there. Suggestions? I have the air correction thing from the jet kit put in, and I'm thinking it overcorrected, is that accurate? TIA

Comment

The carb kit should be exactly what you need, so I don't think it is the fault of the kit. It can be tedious to fine tune sometimes and I've been trying to perfect my 81 for , oh... 15 or so years off and on. Check your timing and make sure it's on the money, maybe check to see your carbs are in synch and so forth. I have had a slight bog in my rod since I've owned it and it won't go away completely but I can move it around the rev range, so I have it low down where your problem is, but that's because I ride at higher revs. If you perfect it let me know, I'd be curious as to what you did. Good luck

Comment

Is it possible to change where the advance happens? I'm thinking if I dropped it by 300rpm or so, it would cover the problem. Would this create another problem?

Comment

They used to sell ignition rotors to give it more advance. I'm not sure if they still sell them or not. You can try moving the backing plate that the signal generators bolt to.

Comment

Are there any current bikes, or semi current bikes, that share the same rotor I have? I'm seeing adjustable rotors for early gixxer models.

Comment

The rotor isn't adjustable, it just has the lobe moved a few degrees. The plate the ignition pickups is on hs some adjustability to it. You'll need an impact driver to get the bolts loose.

Comment

Working...
                X