Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad am I screwed and an O ring question :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How bad am I screwed and an O ring question :)

I pulled my boots off again to redo them. I screwed two of the O rings and need to replace them by Monday so ordering them is out of the question. Can I hit up an auto parts store?

And now for the screwed part :P I decided while I had the carbs off to check the cam chain auto tensioner bolts. I had taken it off but someone else had put it on when he put my cams backin for me cause I was moving. WELL the plunger was never realeased when it was reinstalled And I have been riding it for like 3 weeks with the auto tensioner disengaged! Think I damaged anything?

The complication is the material. You need Viton or something else heat-resistant. A 'dash' size of -128 will fit your bike, but finding Viton on a Labor Day weekend could be a challenge. Where are you located (city)?
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
      The complication is the material. You need Viton or something else heat-resistant. A 'dash' size of -128 will fit your bike, but finding Viton on a Labor Day weekend could be a challenge. Where are you located (city)?
      At the momen I am in Laconia NH, tomorrow or Monday I will be in Chester CT and I need the bike ready to roll Tuesday morning to get me to work

Comment

Check out local hydraulic parts/repair depots, heavy equipment repair shops (which will have a good selection of o-rings). The former will probably have good o-rings which will work for you - tell them it's gasoline and they'll check a materials compatibility chart.

Comment

I just discovered some maroon never released my chain tensioner either. POs, sheesh!

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
            I will be in Chester CT and I need the bike ready to roll Tuesday morning to get me to work
            Wow. Sorry, but you're about 800+ miles out of my special delivery radius...

Comment

If you can find a Honda shop try early Goldwing intake boot o-rings, right material and right enough size. As I remember they're a little larger but should work fine.

-/\/\ac

Comment

You're looking for an I.D. of 37.7mm +/- and a cross section of 2.4mm +/-, if that helps. Finding anything open will be the challenge.

Comment

a trick I have done that works in a pinch short term is to get a tube of high temp silicone, and after cleaning out the groove in the boot good and carefully run a bead in the groove about a 1/16-1/8th of a inch above the surface and let it cure then assemble.

this will hold more than long enough so you will have time to order in a set of premium high grade O-rings from Robert.

the draw back is you have to clean out the silicone when you go to put in the O-rings.
                  a thin film of oil on the flange should keep the silicone from sticking.

Comment

Working...
                  X