X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Slip or Rear Shaft Problem?

:-D

82 GS850L - 26,000 kms

I've searched the forums and haven't quite found out the answer to my problem. Not sure how to describe what's happening, but when accelerating hard say in 3rd gear and then shifting up to 4th, the engine will race or rev up slightly.

From what I've read in the forums, it could be clutch slip or slippage at the rear shaft. Can take off hard in 1st and shift hard into 2nd and get good acceleration with no engine racing, just good traction and acceleration.

This seems to only happen at a higher speed when shifting and coming on hard with the throttle.

I can't figure out if it's slippage from the clutch or somewhere in the rear shaft.

What might be the problem? Not much of a mechanic so it's hard for me to know what's wrong. Also not familiar with workings of the shaft drive.

8-[

replace your clutch springs and resume

Comment

Mark,I have an 80 850G. I changed the handlebars n mine and discovered this problem with my bike as well. A gentleman told me to check the slack in my clutch cable. I scoffed thinking that I would not let something so simple escape my amazing powers of problem evaluation. Well, I was wrong. The slack just needed to be increased in the clutch cable. It can be adjusted at the lever or at the transmission case. Mine was doing the exact thing that yours is doing... only in third or forth at higher RPMs. To my understanding, the drive can not slip. The shaft can tourque or twist, but not slip. I hope your problem is as easy to fix as just adjusting the cable, good luck.Rustyps- any advise I offer is subject to change by anyone who actually knows what they are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by rusted View Post
        Mark,I have an 80 850G. I changed the handlebars n mine and discovered this problem with my bike as well. A gentleman told me to check the slack in my clutch cable. I scoffed thinking that I would not let something so simple escape my amazing powers of problem evaluation. Well, I was wrong. The slack just needed to be increased in the clutch cable. It can be adjusted at the lever or at the transmission case. Mine was doing the exact thing that yours is doing... only in third or forth at higher RPMs. To my understanding, the drive can not slip. The shaft can tourque or twist, but not slip. I hope your problem is as easy to fix as just adjusting the cable, good luck.Rustyps- any advise I offer is subject to change by anyone who actually knows what they are talking about.
        I noticed the same symtoms a couple of times in Brown County earlier this Year, Only when Passing with the Throttle Hammered. When I got home I changed the Oil and adjusted the Clutch Cable and it hasn't happened Since.:-D
        sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
        2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

All good advice -- check your clutch cable carefully.

Also, the original clutch springs are ineveitably sagged and out of spec after 25 years of stress. Simply replace with new OEM clutch springs and enjoy. You do NOT need heavy duty springs.

This takes maybe $12 for the springs, $7 for the clutch cover gasket, and 15 minutes of your time. Put the bike on the kickstand, and the oil will run the left side of the engine so you can take the clutch cover off without losing a drop. Easy-peasy.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

:-D:-D:

I'll adjust the clutch cable and hope it's as simple as that and report my findings.

Hope it's as simple as that. Might be a while as won't be taking bike out until next week.

If I need new clutch springs, sounds simple enough - wish me luck.

Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

The only way the shaft can slip is if it blows out the splines inside the rear hub. And if it does that you will know about it very quickly.

Apart from clutch adjustment or relaxed springs, some people say they get clutch slip from using oil with certain friction modifier additives, or with 100% synthetic oil. Change out the oil and the problem is solved.

Might be worth searching the site for specific oils that people have reported.

Comment

I've only used Suzuki Motor Oil - 10w - 40 and the oil and filter was just changed in June and have only put on 110 kms since.

I don't use any other additives in with the Suzuki oil.

I agree that adding an additive with the oil will make the clutch slip as one of my other bikes I had tried an Amsoil additive and the clutch did slip. Apparently you're not supposed to use additives with a wet type clutch as the additive will cause a slipping clutch.

Thanks for the info - will adjust the clutch next week and try that first.

Comment

Working...
                X