Front Wheel Removal 550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Wheel Removal 550L

How in the crap do i get my front wheel off of my 81 550L? I took off the caliper, fender, pinch bolt, axel nut, tried tapping the bolt through... No go, someone got a secret? LMK, thanks

Too late now, but there is no need to remove the fender.

Sounds like the axle is stuck in the bore. Use a block of wood against the threaded end and hit it sharply with a good hammer. It should break loose. If nothing happens, use penetrating oil on it and let it sit overnight. The head end of the axle usually has a hole through it so you can use a Phillips screwdriver or other metal rod to twist the axle. Try that, too.

When you remove the caliper, it's best to not let it hang from the rubber brake line. Try to support it with something. I have found that a cut-up clothes hanger works will to hang it from a turn signal stem.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I like to use rubber bungee cords to hold the caliper. i had to remove the fender because i eneded up pulling the forks out of the clamps, but I still cant get the forks off whe wheel. The fork on the right side (side with the nut and pinch bolt) seems to come out ok with a little smack, but the other wont let loose. I guess I'm only asking to see if the axle rod was threaded on the other side. I noticed a hole running through the head so i thought i needed a special spanner wrench or something.

Thanks for the help, and more advice appreciated!

Comment

No "special spanner" needed there, just use an old #2 Phillips or a long pin punch that fits in the hole, and twist.
        As mentioned earlier, a little lubrication would not hurt.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tough axle to follow...

Mr. CA180,

If the axle is that hard to slip out, be sure and check the wheel bearings. If they are dry or if the wheel had any side-to-side wobble when mounted, you should consider replacing the bearings.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Put the axle nut on backwards and make the end plush with the end of the axle threads. Now take a large hammer or sledge hammer and go to town.
            Have someone sit on the bike so it doesn't fall over.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I tried turning the nut around and going at it with a hammer (somewhat gently) and that was kind of a no-go. The right (clutch side) fork started sliding off, but the opposite side was on pretty tight. I'll try some rust spray when I get home. I didnt have a screw driver handy that was strong enough to twist the nust from the other side without bending the screw driver.

Thanks again guys!

P.S.> I took the forks all the way out of the triples, so i dont know if thats helping me or hurting me. Also want to add that the wheel spins freely, no binding, excessive noise, or play... So i dont think that the bearings are bad.

Comment

Working...
              X