Performance engine maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance engine maintenance

G'day people. The motor in my GSX1100 EFE (GS1150?) is not standard.It has GSXR pistons (1230cc), TIGHE cams (not sure of specs),GSXR 38mm carbs welded crank ect. Can anyone tell me if the fact that it is tuned means the valve adjustment should be checked more often than a standard motor or if they need to be set at different measurements than listed in a haynes manual? The original owner/builder had it running high 9sec 1/4 mile times so I am assuming it has been put together right but don't know if I can service it as per the manual because of the engine spec's.Can anyone tell me if there is anything I should keep an eye on with a tuned motor? Cheers Mike.

The best bloke to answer this is Carl Batey at Cafe Racer in Wattle Flat, up past Bathurst where I live and on the Sofala road.

Motorbike servicing, tubes and tyres, dyno tuning

Carl does some very shmick race motors and loves the old Suzukis etc. People travel from interstate to have Carl work their bikes. (For the US readers, that means about 1,000 kilometers north, south or west.)

Where in Oz are you from?

Comment

I thnk what forms the basis for how often to tune is ... how many times the valves open and close, and how hard they are being held closed.

In other words, if you have stronger springs to go along with the cams, or if you routinely run 8-9k rpm, the valves are more likely to need adjustment. If the springs are stock and the revs are more modest, the original schedule could probably be followed. I tend to follow the stock schedule for a few checks until I see that the clearances are not changing, then extend the intervals. The valve clearance tends to change the most when parts are new. That would include a new engine or a recent valve job.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks guy's, I found a contact no for the bloke that built the head (Hanlon Race Engineering) so I'll give him a ring, he may have built the motor as well because I'm told he is the "guru" for all things suzuki here in Adelaide. Cheers Mike.

Comment

Aussie EFE do you know Whitey or Red from the Katana South Australia??

Dink
          KatanaOz

Comment

Working...
          X