Valve adjustment questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment questions...

I've never adjusted valves using shims before.

I'm trying to check/adjust the valves on my '82 650G & I don't have that special tool to depress the tappets to facilitate removing the shim. Is there a work around for this, or do I have to find one of those tools somewhere?

I called the Suzuki dealer and gave him the suzuki tool part number (from my factory manual) and was told that tool cost $125 !! :shock:

Is that right?? How are you guys removing those shims?

Also, is it better to set the clearances to the high side or low side of the limit? My specs are .001" - .003" for both intake & exhaust clearances. I believe I should try to set them at .003" because I think I read here once that the valve clearances decrease over time, is that right?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Mike
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

You need to get the tool. But not from the dealer

Here's one way cheaper. There's several other places that sell them as well.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Says out of stock, but if you call you can get one on the way pretty soon I bet.

And you're right, set them to the high side if you can.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-05-2007, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Actually after re-reading that tool doesn't list the 650. It sure looks right though. Call and check.

Comment

Thanks - Yeah, I saw that it didn't specify the 650, but maybe that's an oversight?

I'll give 'em a call.

Thanks again.

Mike
        '85 GS550L - SOLD
        '85 GS550E - SOLD
        '82 GS650GL - SOLD
        '81 GS750L - SOLD
        '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

On my 81' 850 I just used a craftsman stubby flat blade screw driver and tapped it between the edge of the shim bucket and cam. Worked fine.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a try!
            '85 GS550L - SOLD
            '85 GS550E - SOLD
            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
            '81 GS750L - SOLD
            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

I'll bite my tongue on the stubby screw-driver idea. I'll also admit I've never done it and it could possibly work. Just be careful......you don't want to nick things up too bad.

Comment

The right tool for the job

Mr. hikermikem,

I would strongly recommend getting the shim tool (valve tappet depressor - about $15) from an online vendor like bikebandit.com, flatoutmotorcycles.com, z1enterprizes.com, or other. It takes some practice even with the tool. Plus the tool automatically holds down the bucket once you have it depressed allowing you to easily remove the shim. I can't imagine how much more difficult it would be without it. These 8-valve GS motors all use the same size buckets, shims (29.5mm) and shim tools.

I prefer the metric measurements, .03mm - .08mm clearances. Although it is hard to find a feeler gauge smaller than .04mm (.0015 inches). If you like, you can read about my adventure in valve adjustment. Or you can download the PDF file here.

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I got that tool for $12.00 on eBay.
                  The tricky part of doing this for me was getting the new shims to fall into the buckets. They kept sliding out.

Comment

The proper tool is always the best option. But I didn't have it, didn't want to wait to get it. So I used the stubby screw driver. And it seemed to work just fine for me. It's much too soft to do any damage to the shim bucket or the cam. And it is against the cam shaft not the lob so a scratch wouldn't hurt anyway. Once tapped into place it held the bucket down for easy removal and replacement of shim. Again, the proper tool is always the best route. And, do not try this at home.... But I don't plan on buying the tool.

Comment

Originally posted by GLDIVER View Post
                      The proper tool is always the best option. But I didn't have it, didn't want to wait to get it. So I used the stubby screw driver. And it seemed to work just fine for me. It's much too soft to do any damage to the shim bucket or the cam. And it is against the cam shaft not the lob so a scratch wouldn't hurt anyway. Once tapped into place it held the bucket down for easy removal and replacement of shim. Again, the proper tool is always the best route. And, do not try this at home.... But I don't plan on buying the tool.
                      If you feel like it, post some pics sometime showing us how its done. I'll stick with my tool but it would be interesting (at least to me) to see what you're doing.

Comment

I would also echo the advice to work in millimeters instead of inches. Get a set of metric feeler gauges -- the potential for expensive confusion is far too great.

And use the correct shim tool -- it's only $15 - $20, fer Pete's sake! :roll:

BikeBandit now sells a set of metric feeler gauges that starts at .03mm. Dig around in their tools section until you find it.

You can get a metric set that starts at .04mm at any auto parts store, and that will work perfectly well too. If your valve clearance is below .04mm, you need to change the shim anyway 99% of the time. The .03mm gauge is only useful in those rare cases where the clearance just happens to be exactly .03mm.

Z1 Enterprises and Cycle Recycle II sell shims for $5 each. (Both also sell the shim tool and many other goodies besides.) Valve clearances tend to decrease slowly over time, so to minimize future downtime, document what clearances and shims you have, then order extra shims in the sizes that you might need next. Exhaust valve clearances tend to decrease faster than intakes.

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

valves

try jcwhitney there cheap and quick on shipping. mine was 16 dollars for the same tool.

Comment

Valve adjust update...

Originally posted by GLDIVER View Post
                            On my 81' 850 I just used a craftsman stubby flat blade screw driver and tapped it between the edge of the shim bucket and cam. Worked fine.

I bought a stubby screwdriver in a feeble atempt to remove the shims. I placed it next to the cam shaft over the shim bucket and said to myself, "this is a bad idea".

Now i own a new stubby screwdriver which I'm sure will see action on tasks OTHER than valve shim removal.

I ordered the tool from Z1 - due on Sat.

Mike
                            '85 GS550L - SOLD
                            '85 GS550E - SOLD
                            '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                            '81 GS750L - SOLD
                            '82 GS1100G - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              ... to minimize future downtime, document what clearances and shims you have, ...
                              If you are interested, I have an Excel spreadsheet that will do this for you. 8-[

To minimize purchasing a bunch of shims that you might need, it's best to see what you actually need, and see if any of your existing shims (that need to be moved anyway) will fit. Many times, you can get by with only buying one or two shims. A couple months ago, I helped someone with their valve adjustment. 6 of the 8 valves needed adjustment, but by re-arranging shims, only 2 needed to be bought. \\/

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X