HELP! Engine Stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Engine Stuck?

I have an 81 GS750E. The bike has been running great. I changed the valve cover gasket. After I put everything back together, the motor would not start. I thought the battery was dead. I put it on a charger for awhile. I tried again. No go. I tried to push start, but the back tire skidded when I let out the clutch.

I took off the valve cover again. I tok off the carbs and cam chain tensioner. I unbolted the exhaust cam and moved the chain guide in the front of the engine. The cam chain seems tight even without the tensioner.

I am afraid that a small piece of old gasket fell into the cam chain well and my be caught between the gear and the cam.

What can I try next? Can I use the starter with the tensioner out?
    Can I try pushing the bike to try to get the motor to turn over again with the tensioner out?

You will end up changing the engine timing if you turn the engine over without the chain tight (if it skips a tooth).

A better way of turning the engine over would be to remove the points cover and turn the crank with a big wrench. If you do have crud in the engine you'll probably just mash it up and damage more stuff so keep that in mind.

Steve

Comment

check to see if the cam timing was disturbed when you took the cover off, these are interferance engines< the valves will hit the piston if the cam timing is off.

Comment

Before you take the cams loose Take the plugs out and try to push it backwards

Comment

Working...
        X