Buying new bike. Is it worth $3500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying new bike. Is it worth $3500?

I'm looking at a 1981 GS1100E. It has a 1280 big bore kit, aftermarket Mikunii carbs (I don't know the size), K&N pods, oilcooler, 750 gears in the oil pump, Kawawsaki regulator and rectifier, new rear tire and the front forks redone. It has a Bassani 4 into 1 exhaust. The centerstand was removed. It is incredibly fast. It idles easily, doesn't bog down on acceleration. There is a rip in the seat, the chrome is pitted, and the paint needs to be redone. One side cover is missing. The bike has 20K on it. The guy wants $3500. Blue book dealer retail for a stock 81 GS1100 is $1500. Is the $3500 a reasonable price for this bike? Any comments would be appreciated.

Pretty steep. He may have that much in it, but when you do mods you can't expect to recover all of it. He would play hell getting 2k for it.

Comment

Thank you.

Thanks, Billy. I just needed to get some idea of the value. It is a great running bike, fast as hell. But I don't want to pay much more than the bike is worth. I'd go somewhat higher, cause I like the bike. However, an extra $1500 is too much. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I bought one back in November for 1400$CDN. It has new paint with a mural on the tank. It also has when I believe to be a MAC 4 into 1 and it pretty much flawless other than needing a new clutch basket and a new master link on the chain.

Steve

Comment

Mastiff, is it $3500 US, Canadian, or what? You don't state where you are, and your profile doesn't either.

$3500 in US dollars is utterly ridiculous. The seller is totally unrealistic. Pass it up. Offer $1000 US. If he rejects it, be done with it and walk away.

Comment

Re: Buying new bike. Is it worth $3500?

If its in good mechanical condition and runs well, I would expect to pay $1000 to $1500 for it. I see them frequently in trader, etc in that range. If I looked at it and really just HAD to have it, I might consider offering $2000 for it. I think $3500 is absurd. The only way it is worth that is if its in pristine like new condition with only a couple thousand miles on it. Sounds like it is worn quite a bit. I'd say about $1500 or so tops.

Earl

Originally posted by Mastiff
            I'm looking at a 1981 GS1100E. It has a 1280 big bore kit, aftermarket Mikunii carbs (I don't know the size), K&N pods, oilcooler, 750 gears in the oil pump, Kawawsaki regulator and rectifier, new rear tire and the front forks redone. It has a Bassani 4 into 1 exhaust. The centerstand was removed. It is incredibly fast. It idles easily, doesn't bog down on acceleration. There is a rip in the seat, the chrome is pitted, and the paint needs to be redone. One side cover is missing. The bike has 20K on it. The guy wants $3500. Blue book dealer retail for a stock 81 GS1100 is $1500. Is the $3500 a reasonable price for this bike? Any comments would be appreciated.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Show him this posting. These guys are right. The price is too steep. If he sees what the experts here think, then maybe he'll be more realistic.

Paul Jones

Comment

It is $3500 US, I'm in Chicago. Thanks for the advice, I'll show him your replies. Maybe that will move him down to something reasonable.

Comment

For $3500 you could buy a nice bone stock 1100E, do all the aftermarket mods yourself and still have over $1000 left. I refrain from buying highly modified used bikes as you do not know if you are getting a bike properly built or a hand grenade disguised as a motor. Either way anything over $1500 is no deal.

Comment

For that matter $3500 will buy you a pretty new Gixxer.

Comment

Old time rule of thumb on used bikes: $1.00 per cc.

Comment

Working...
                      X