Starter Solenoid Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Solenoid Problems

I'm getting power to the solenoid when I press the starter button (via the yellow/green wire at the solenoid), but the starter won't spin. The starter works fine when I jump the solenoid poles with a screwdriver. I replaced the solenoid and still have the same problem. Could it be a bad ground?

If you can short across the solenoid and the starter spins, that rules out the starter. And you replaced the solenoid, that should rule out the solenoid as well. Only thing left would be the circuit that activates the solenoid. Most likely is a bad ground from the solenoid back to battery negative. Other possibility, but less likely is a bad connection from battery positive to the solenoid. I assume when you say you have voltage at the solenoid, you mean battery voltage and not something less. (If less, you have a bad connection in the circuit feeding 12V to the solenoid.) Try running a separate wire from the solenoid ground to the battery negative and see if that helps.

Comment

I got stuck in Home Depot's parking lot with this problem. The solenoid benefits from a real ground wire on it.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

I have to apologize for not using the search feature first. There's a lot of good information on this subject out there. I've been doing this long enough, I should know better.

However, duaneage and tomm were right on. I added a ground wire from one of the solenoid mounting bolts up to the battery negative and everything works like it should. Apparently the battery boxes not providing a good ground is a common problem with these bikes.

Thanks

Comment

In a way I think you just bypassed the clutch safety switch.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X