Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Goofy question

Hey guys,

I just bought a new bar from Babbits to replace the K&N bar currently on the GS. I have an old shoulder injury that gets aggravated leaning too far forward after an hour or so, so I opted for a bar that is to original specs.

When I got the bar it had what seemed to be plugs welded into the ends. I run the Napolean bar end mirrors so these "plugs" had to go. Used a dremel to cut the bar back a bit and found what I had thought to be plugs were actually be steel rods welded into the ends of the bar. They're about 4 1/2 inches long and seemingly equal weight. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what they're for, any help would be appreciated. Mostly I'm confused, nothing I can about these rods, just would like to know what they are.

Bar weights to cut down on vibration?

Comment

Perhaps they're there to simply add weight and dampen vibration?

Comment

Maybe you could tap them and use a different fastener for your bar end mirrors.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mriddle View Post
          Maybe you could tap them and use a different fastener for your bar end mirrors.

Mike
          Nope, already cut 'em back, that's how I found out what they actually were. If indeed they are for vibration, I agree with this suggestion, I'm not too concerned. After riding Harleys this bike has NO vibration (to me) ! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 82GS1100E View Post
            Hey guys,

I just bought a new bar from Babbits to replace the K&N bar currently on the GS. I have an old shoulder injury that gets aggravated leaning too far forward after an hour or so, so I opted for a bar that is to original specs.

When I got the bar it had what seemed to be plugs welded into the ends. I run the Napolean bar end mirrors so these "plugs" had to go. Used a dremel to cut the bar back a bit and found what I had thought to be plugs were actually be steel rods welded into the ends of the bar. They're about 4 1/2 inches long and seemingly equal weight. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what they're for, any help would be appreciated. Mostly I'm confused, nothing I can about these rods, just would like to know what they are.
            Had the exact same thing on my 750. I assumed they were weights for vibration control.

Comment

Working...
            X