Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'79 GS850 sputters while cornering now!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'79 GS850 sputters while cornering now!?

I'm slowly getting this beast tuned up but am having a particularly difficult time with the carbs. It's running quite fine except when warm, going around a tight right turn!? Then it sputters coing out of the corner. Is this a fuel level issue? I set the float heights on the vm's to 23mm which would be the high side of the spec. Would lowering the fuel level (24-25mm float level) be the appropriate course of action?

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
    Would lowering the fuel level (24-25mm float level) be the appropriate course of action?
    That could affect it. Not sure why the difference between left and right turns, though.

When you turn, you are adding "G" forces to the bike, but only in a "down" direction, that is, from you, straight through the bike to the tire contact patch. As these forces increase, the carb floats might be forced down just a bit, allowing more fuel to enter the float bowl. Since your float level is already just a bit high, this might make it too high.

Just a thought, and I thought I would share it with you before it died of lonliness. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Tore open the carbs (again). Nothing dirty but then I found a loose pilot jet! Guess I forgot to tighten it down when I rebuilt them two weeks ago. Man I'm getting forgetful in the old age. All back together now and no more sputter!

Comment

Just a thought, might it be that your throttle cable is getting bound one way or another during a right turn. While stationary, give the engine a little gas and turn the column to the right. Try it at idle as well.

Comment

Working...
        X