Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help: Replacement grip messes up my bike.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Replacement grip messes up my bike.

The original throttle grip that I had on my old GS is wearing out bad,
    so I went to the local shop last weekend to pick up one of the popular Italian made grip models for replacement. Everything went smooth and I successfully installed new grip on the bar. Next day, I noticed a huge letdown in the running performance. Every gear feels like the first gear and accelaration was as terrible as it could get. What have I done wrong and what should I do to fix it? Please give me your advice or direct me to the old thread where the same issue was discussed. Thanks

Is it pulling the throttle butter-flies all the way open? how much cable slack is there? is there more than one location for the cable end to attach to it?
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Yea!! It's got to be in how the cable is being pulled by the grip barrel, but I can't think how it could fit wrong.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rainrider View Post
        The original throttle grip that I had on my old GS is wearing out bad,
        so I went to the local shop last weekend to pick up one of the popular Italian made grip models for replacement. Everything went smooth and I successfully installed new grip on the bar. Next day, I noticed a huge letdown in the running performance. Every gear feels like the first gear and accelaration was as terrible as it could get. What have I done wrong and what should I do to fix it? Please give me your advice or direct me to the old thread where the same issue was discussed. Thanks
        I am with the other guys, it really sounds like you lost the adjustment in your throttle cable somehow. The only other thing I can think of is that the grip is dragging on the end of the bar inside and preventing the throttle from rotating all the way open. Did you cut the ends out of the grips or keep them solid? If solid, is the grip dragging on the bars and stopping rotation?

Mark

Comment

Some throttles do have 2 places where it looks like the cable barrel can go. If you put it in the wrong one, you could have this result.

Comment

Do you have the VM (pre 80) carb push pull throttle or the CV which only has one cable?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks every one of you who replied.

> I am with the other guys, it really sounds like you lost the adjustment in your throttle cable somehow. The only other thing I can think of is that the grip is dragging on the end of the bar inside and preventing the throttle from rotating all the way open. Did you cut the ends out of the grips or keep them solid? If solid, is the grip dragging on the bars and stopping rotation?

I never touched the cable(single) and butterflies seem to work normally.
              My mechanic thinks the problem is the latter.
              He cut the ends open and said it might help....but it made no difference.
              I don't wanna go back to him to cry about it, so I posted this thread.

The replacement grip is glued to the throttle and it sits perfectly tight on it. I guess I'll play with the throttle cable to see if it makes any progress. Thanks again everyone for your inputs.

Comment

did your cable partially break? check to make sure the cable didn't break. try to remove the grip, use a air compressor and stick the nozzel under the grip and is should slide right off as you blow air. after that take the bike for a ride without the grip see if that changes anything. are all you spark plug caps on tight, maybe one got knocked loose?
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Working...
                X