No announcement yet.

What tires are you running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love Pirelli Sport Demons, Am currently running a Bridgestone BT45 on the rear of my 1150 as I am doing a lot of highway kms. and it lasts better. DO NOT use a BT45 front!!! they feather very heavily and present to the road as a slick whilst only looking half worn...dont ask me how I know.

Dink

Comment

What oil should I use?

Bridgestone S11 Spitfires.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. Please don't think any less of me. These tires are OK. They've got 3000 miles, look brand new, and I can scrape my boots with them. They do fine for my daily commute. I haven't tried them in the rain, but Mr. bwringer says they don't do so well.

Comment

Oh boy . . . I guess I'm all alone here. Anyway I recently put a pair of Metzler Lasertecs on my 750. They are great after the Continentals that I had on there previously, which were just awful in every respect. Guess there's no where else to go but up when you're at the bottom. Don't know how they compare to what everyone else seems to be running, but I'm happy with them. They were expensive though. (I do a lot of two-up, often with luggage, riding on highways and back roads, both wet and dry.)

Comment

I ran Metzelers on my 1150, when I lived in a cooler climate & loved them got great wear, had no traction issues etc. However as soon as I moved to a warmer climate they evaporated off the rims, I was astonished how fast they wore out. Have never tried Continenals, but they have decided that if they are gonna make motorcycle tyres, they are gonna make the very best, so they may be worth re-visiting. Of cause it doesnt hurt that the place I work has an account with the distributer.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Dink View Post
            DO NOT use a BT45 front!!! they feather very heavily and present to the road as a slick whilst only looking half worn...dont ask me how I know.

Dink
            You're right. I hated it. It was cupped out in less than one season. (less than 1000 miles) :?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by tomm View Post
              Oh boy . . . I guess I'm all alone here. Anyway I recently put a pair of Metzler Lasertecs on my 750.

I was beginning to think I was the alone guy. I run Metz Lasertec as well. That makes two on the planet.

Comment

I have Metzler Marathon 880s both front and rear on the 850G. I think they are a great all around tire, best suited for touring. They seem to last pretty well for me. I just replaced the rear. The previous one went 6000 miles.

My new 550 has Chin Shengs. I've haven't ridden the bike much yet, so we'll see.

Comment

Interesting about the BT45's.

Unfortunately I bought one for my wifes 1150 and didn't care for it right off the bat.

I had wanted to get a Michelin Macadam 110/16 for the front, but it was backordered till October. Really liked the Michelin 110/16 vs. the 120/16 dicontinued Metzler MEZ2.

Dunlop 591 Harley tire for the 19'' rim. Didn't like the 19'' 501 Arrowmax.

Love the Dunlop 205 17'' rear. Best tire I've tryed since the MEZ2 was available.

If I can get from one summer to the next I'm happy.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I'm on my 2nd set of Continential Road Attacks on both bikes, 03 Bandit12S and 01 CBR929RR. Steering is neutral and they are unaffected by grates, grooves, in the road, etc., handle well in the rain and I'm getting about 7000 miles from a rear before replacement. Traction is excellent and I have leaned both bikes far enough over to wear all of the tread on the sidewalls. At 45+ deg of lean, they are planted like they're glued to the road and still stable and tracking smoothly, so I'll buy them again.

Earl
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I put the Sport Demons on my 1000 and absolutely love them. It's a different bike (and I thought it handled good before). The 1150 has Metzeler ME330 and ME550's, and I love them, too, but they are no longer made (replaced by the Lazertech, I think). I will go with the Sport Demon's on the 1150 when it's time.
                      I was considering puting on the Roadriders on my new project. But I might just stick with the Pirellis.... (if it aint broke....).
                      85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                      79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
                        I put the Sport Demons on my 1000 and absolutely love them. It's a different bike (and I thought it handled good before). The 1150 has Metzeler ME330 and ME550's, and I love them, too, but they are no longer made (replaced by the Lazertech, I think). I will go with the Sport Demon's on the 1150 when it's time.
                        I was considering puting on the Roadriders on my new project. But I might just stick with the Pirellis.... (if it aint broke....).
                        Bruce,

The Sport Demons are great. You won't get the mileage out of them that you did with the Metzelers but if you're like me you'll gladly trade mileage for peace of mind any time!

Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Working...
                        X