Switching petcocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching petcocks

I know someone will know the answer to this one....I'm thinking of putting a better and different petcock on my '80 GS750L by switching to the one that goes to the 82-83 "X" models. It has a lever instead of the goofy screwdriver slot. I also suspect it works better since it was made for export and didn't have to comply with all the silly EPA rules. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work?? It appears to be nearly the same size. Thanks for your advice!!
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

As far as I know it should work. I don't think there is any difference if it is an export, they were all vacuum operated.

Comment

I've a 80 model (sold in belgium) with the "screwdriver slot", looking since a long time for a compatible petcock with a lever and "res" position

never found

but I've seen yesterday a '82 "imported from the usa" model, with the same tank *and* a (very small) petcok with a small lever

I'm now looking for the reference (part number) so I can order one at suzuki

if anybody have a picture with this petcok it would be appreciated, so I can order it very precisely

before I've to verifiy if the petcok is on the same location on the tank

tia

Comment

Same to you as everyone else. Go get a pingel valve and quit messing around with this vaccum crap. One of best purchases for my bike and the ON/OFF actually works and no rubber diaphragms to worry about dryrotting and leaking.

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Louie

Comment

Originally posted by ageekapc
          Same to you as everyone else. Go get a pingel valve and quit messing around with this vaccum crap. One of best purchases for my bike and the ON/OFF actually works and no rubber diaphragms to worry about dryrotting and leaking.

Manufacturer and distributor of high performance motorcycle parts and accessories for street and drag. Find fuel valves (petcocks), wheel chocks, air shifters, all electric shifter kits, wheelie bars and more here. Products for Yamaha, Harley-Davidson, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Honda available.

Louie
          Ditto, and its chromed also--makes your bike look like a Harley.

Comment

Okay, I would love to get rid of that vacuum valve on my GFs 81 GS650GL. I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own work but sometimes it's easier to just ask the question than to try to figure it out myself. I assume I would need a single out with reserve and an adapter plate. If so, how can I find out which adapter plate I need without having to actually go and measure what she has?
            Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have this great fear that we will be out far from home one day and that stupid diaphragm will fail and then we are stuck. Of all the bikes I have ever owned, I have never seen this before.

Comment

Originally posted by rackham
              I've a 80 model (sold in belgium) with the "screwdriver slot", looking since a long time for a compatible petcock with a lever and "res" position

never found

but I've seen yesterday a '82 "imported from the usa" model, with the same tank *and* a (very small) petcok with a small lever

I'm now looking for the reference (part number) so I can order one at suzuki

if anybody have a picture with this petcok it would be appreciated, so I can order it very precisely

before I've to verifiy if the petcok is on the same location on the tank

tia

on my 80, the petcock is at the "rear side" of the tank between carbs and airbox

on the 82 I've seen, it's between the carbs and the engine

Comment

Originally posted by VStan
                Okay, I would love to get rid of that vacuum valve on my GFs 81 GS650GL. I am very mechanically inclined and do all my own work but sometimes it's easier to just ask the question than to try to figure it out myself. I assume I would need a single out with reserve and an adapter plate. If so, how can I find out which adapter plate I need without having to actually go and measure what she has?
                Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I have this great fear that we will be out far from home one day and that stupid diaphragm will fail and then we are stuck. Of all the bikes I have ever owned, I have never seen this before.
                I think that you will have to measure the distance between the 2 mounting screws. Sometimes it is necessary to file a few thousands out of the hole on the tank to allow the screen to clear. Use teflon tape when screwing the actual petcock into the adapter plate not only to seal it well but to insure that the lever and the gas outlet is where they will be convenient both for your hand and the gas line hose.

Comment

Petcock

I'd love to change mine too. I believe I had a problem with it starving for fuel in the cold last year and it most likely was due to the diaphram. I have a 1982 gs1100gl. Can someone explain the procedure to replace the petcock and remove the gas tank.
                  Thanks.
                  Eddie V

Comment

remove seat

remove bolts at back of tank

lift back of tank a bit so you can disconnect the fuel line and vacume hose

disconnect wires to fuel guage sender when you remove the tank

a tank air vent hose is under there also

remove the tank and ballance it on your head

trim and block off the vacume line from #2 carb.

pour as much of the gas out of the tank that you can

unscrew the petcock and remove

clean the surface

match up the adapter plate to see if its the correct one

insall adapter plate and gasket--gasket sealer is a matter of opinion

apply tefflon tape to the threads on the new manual petcock to make it
                    leak proof and also to ensure that the gas outlet is facing the right way

i dont remember anything else. oh yes on some bikes it may be necessary to slightly enlarge the hole in the gas tank with a file to allow for fuel screen clearance

maybe take the tank off your head and reverse the proceedure

Comment

Vaccum crap, know it only too well, runs all over my garage floor no matter what setting it's in. In the US my favorite customizing store is home depot. Got a 3/8" ball valve and nipples attached with teflon tape. problem solved permanently. One day I may cut out the tank wels a thread and install a real ball valve petcock but for now this will do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X