#2 Carb pours gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#2 Carb pours gas

Long story---short. I recently bought a GS 850 (‘82) that had set in the garage" for a year or so." The bike was in decent shape and from my research I figured I just had to do the carbs and I would be good to go. After all, in my day, I had made my living by twisting wrenches on everything from cars and trucks to industrial machinery, rail road locomotives and U.S. Navy Ships.
    I thought that rebuilding those carbs should a slam-dunk, especially with the carb cleaning series on this web site! I diligently followed every step of the instructions and even replaced the needle valves and seats on all the carbs.
    However, when I put it all back together on the bike and turned the fuel on, gas poured out of carb #2. There was a small amount of gas in the bowl of #1 carb and little or no gas in #3 & #4.
    I pulled the carbs and checked #2 for possible problems but was able to find nothing.
    Where have I screwed up and how can I correct it? Could it be a float adjustment problem?
    Thank you
    Bob Stith

Did you replace the o-ring under the float seat?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Float valve seat and body

Yes, I replaced both the needle valve and body including both both "O" rings on the body.

Bob

Comment

gas

did you check the petcock? also make sure the vent tubes are clear

Comment

When that happened to me it was due to a stuck float and needle. While cleaning the carbs I had tough time pulling needle seat and put it slightly out of round. This kept the float needle from seating and gas poured freely. I was able to correct it by honing it a bit with emory cloth on a small dowel.

Comment

Yes! It can be float adjustment problem. That's what I'd suspect at least on #2. Did the carb cleaning series tell you how to do it and do you have the spec?

Comment

Working...
            X