Center Stand go bye bye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Center Stand go bye bye?

Any reason for me to NOT take off my center stand? I have a shafty so its not like I will be changing my chain on the side of the road. And I have a jack for maintenance and other work requiring any bike lifting.

I have never used it and it has a new spring but still bangs on hard bumps and well I dont like the handle sticking out :P

Parking in gravel or uneven surfaces I've often needed the center stand to make the bike stand up securely. I'd miss it. But then again, I've been thinking I *could* live without it, if I went with an incompatible exhaust or something.

Baring a special motorcycle jack, what tricks/equipment do center-stand-less folks use for maintenance and such when you want 'er standing straight up?

Comment

You need it to check the oil level correctly. The bike will also take up less room in the garage if it's vertical instead of leaned over.

It's not really a good idea to run the bike when it's leaned over on the kickstand, either. Opinions vary, but many feel that the cams on the high side might not get enough oil, or that there might be oil supply problems.

But hey, take it off if you want to. It's your bike.

Also, keep it nearby -- it's not very difficult to replace it temporarily if you need to check oil level, work on the forks, etc.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        You need it to check the oil level correctly. The bike will also take up less room in the garage if it's vertical instead of leaned over.

It's not really a good idea to run the bike when it's leaned over on the kickstand, either. Opinions vary, but many feel that the cams on the high side might not get enough oil, or that there might be oil supply problems.

But hey, take it off if you want to. It's your bike.

Also, keep it nearby -- it's not very difficult to replace it temporarily if you need to check oil level, work on the forks, etc.
        Well I am sure sliding the jack under and a couple quick pumps on the peddle will be faster But cool

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
          Parking in gravel or uneven surfaces I've often needed the center stand to make the bike stand up securely. I'd miss it. But then again, I've been thinking I *could* live without it, if I went with an incompatible exhaust or something.

Baring a special motorcycle jack, what tricks/equipment do center-stand-less folks use for maintenance and such when you want 'er standing straight up?
          I got my Motorcycle Jack at walmart for like $80. Seems like a good choice

Comment

Wait... Walmart sells a motorcycle jack? Neat.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Wait... Walmart sells a motorcycle jack? Neat.
              My crappy little one didnt but the big one in Tilton did

Comment

I have a center stand on my 400 (stock bike), and don't have it on my 550/700 (modified a little bit). I really miss it on the 550.

I'll bet that if you started using the center stand for maintenance and storage, you'd learn to love it. Getting rid of it as a sacrafice for some good mod like an exhaust is one thing, but taking it off for no reason seems like a waste. I say try using it for a while before you pull it.

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                  I'll bet that if you started using the center stand for maintenance and storage, you'd learn to love it. Getting rid of it as a sacrafice for some good mod like an exhaust is one thing, but taking it off for no reason seems like a waste. I say try using it for a while before you pull it.
                  Well said.

Comment

Common sense night - If you never use it, why keep it on the bike ? Sure - keep it in the garage in case.

I took mine off because of the clanging over bumps. Then found the bike lift doesn't work unless I remove the exhaust system. Went right back on :-D

Comment

It's interesting because I personally use the center stand more than the side stand. It's kind of like a habit, my right foot goes directly on the center stand peg as I dismount off the left side of the bike then I step on it and it backs right up onto the stand. I'd be more inclined to lose the side stand but there are occasions when the side stand is the only/best option, so it stays.

Comment

Originally posted by onchiman View Post
                        It's interesting because I personally use the center stand more than the side stand. It's kind of like a habit, my right foot goes directly on the center stand peg as I dismount off the left side of the bike then I step on it and it backs right up onto the stand. I'd be more inclined to lose the side stand but there are occasions when the side stand is the only/best option, so it stays.
                        Fair enough, but you can't do that with my bike - there's no handhold and the old girl is a bit of a heft to get up. Have to take the side box off to get a grip and even then .........

You youngunns :-D

Comment

Another vote to leave the center stand on... Are you absolutely sure it's not the SIDESTAND banging over bumps?

Regardless, if banging is an issue, find the contact point between the stand (either one/both) and the frame, clean it very well, and use silicone adhesive to attach a rubber bumper(s) to the frame - that'll dampen any banging you may experience.

I use my centerstand all the time, by the way. I'd really miss it!

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Logan View Post
                            Fair enough, but you can't do that with my bike - there's no handhold and the old girl is a bit of a heft to get up. Have to take the side box off to get a grip and even then .........

You youngunns :-D
                            I always grab the passenger peg.

Comment

Get a standard (non-spool type) swingarm stand and you'll never look back. 10x easier IMO to get the bike up for maintenance, storage etc than a centerstand, plus you save the ~5 pounds that the centerstand weighs by being able to remove it.

I love the Pitbull stand I have; its pads that fit under the swingarm are adjustable to fit all kinds of bikes and it's very well made.

Pit Bull produces unbeatable quality motorcycle stands and trailer restraint systems on the market for your sport bikes, dirt bikes, or cruisers. All of our motorcycle stands and motorcycle transport

Comment

Working...
                              X