ChicagoLand GS CREW...Need Some Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ChicagoLand GS CREW...Need Some Help

Hey all, awhile back there was a thread out there to help a newb with some carb issues. I have had my 82 GS650G for a bit over a month now and loving it. I would like to inquire if any of you had the time to give another newb a hand with some carb adjustments. I don't think the old girl is running quite right. On average i'm only getting like 23 - 25 miles per gallon. I've read on here that folks are getting between 40 and 50 mpg. My assumption is that my carbs need to be synched, but don't know where to go to get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a ColorTune off of ebay but have yet to try it as I have no clue what i'm doing. Thanks in advance.

Austin

have you done a carb clean(dipped) yet, and replaced the orings? if not i would follow the instructions posted in the garage section. i would also find you carbs stock setting (see sticky in tech section) and make sure those are set to stock. after that then i am sure someone wouldn't mind helping you synce your carbs.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up....I'll set those as my weekend projects. I already cleaned the carbs, but have not done the rest. Thanks.

Comment

when you say you cleaned them you mean you totally disassembled them and dipped them in a bucket of cleaner, right? also you can get o-rings from robert barr, good guy...
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by MellowMoodz View Post
          My assumption is that my carbs need to be synched, but don't know where to go to get it done.

Austin
          You'll hear bits of advice that can sound preachy, maybe, but there's a definite sequence to follow and basics to cover before you mess with carb adjustments.

1) Compression check. At least know what your baseline is and if anything is radically out of whack.

2) Valve clearances. Yes, it's a chore the first time around, but it's necessary because it impacts longevity as well as the function of everything else. It can also affect compression.

3) Ignition -- not such a big deal anymore, since you have no timing or contact points to horse around with.

4) Intake leaks and airbox sealing.

Until you have these four items down pat (and the obvious, like clean fresh fuel), you're wasting your time trying to fine-tune anything.
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

any luck tuning her in?

Comment

Your bike is using twice as much gas as it should. Start by checking to be sure that it is firing on all 4 cylinders.
              sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Nerobro and I have been working on our carbs lately and if you don't mind the hour and 45 minute trip south to Aurora this weekend he and I are going to be going over the carbs of a GS550E and a GS550/650 hybrid.

here's our newest piece of home cooked trickery...

Yes that's an O2 sensor (narrow band) and a read out display rigged to the bike... It's not the most eloquent solution but I can get rich and lean readings off of her... We're hoping to have our carbs done up for the Galena ride.

Comment

Install a hole cap on the end of there. I've seen too many 02's wig out from false readings with open header set ups.

Other than that... good deal!!!

Comment

Bummer, Steve -- I was sure the "next" picture I saw would be the flames shooting out the exhaust pipe -- Hahahaha!!!!

Speaking of tuning the carbs, I bought a Morgan colortune (which I've yet to use), and if you guys want to come up to Buffalo Grove before Galena we could dial in all our bikes using the colortune and then see what the O2 sensor says about it...

Let me know,

Comment

Doesn't The O2 Have To Be A Lot Closer To The Exhaust Ports, Or At Least Be In A More Closed Environment? Maybe Make A Some Sort Of Canister Thing That Mounts To The End Of Collector, That You Can Bolt A O2 Into And When Done Just Reinstall The Exhaust Canister.
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x

Comment

it's a narrow band sensor that's heated so you don't have to get it up to temp with the exhaust, and not all that accurate to begin with... we're mainly looking for lean and rich readings, nothing terribly spot on. Though I'd like to try what we got and then rig the colortune to it and see how close we are...

Comment

bringing up an old thread

Well got the bike out this year and did the intake boot o-ring change....wow what a difference that made. She runs good and I'm getting about 45 mpg. I got a small oil leak that i'm trying to hunt down but was wondering if any of you gents had a bit of time to help me sync my carbs. I get some good vibrations and was told that a sync would help this. I have a color tune that is unused and would love to give that a try also. Any help from you locals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Austin

Comment

Originally posted by MellowMoodz View Post
                            Hey all, awhile back there was a thread out there to help a newb with some carb issues. I have had my 82 GS650G for a bit over a month now and loving it. I would like to inquire if any of you had the time to give another newb a hand with some carb adjustments. I don't think the old girl is running quite right. On average i'm only getting like 23 - 25 miles per gallon. I've read on here that folks are getting between 40 and 50 mpg. My assumption is that my carbs need to be synched, but don't know where to go to get it done. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I purchased a ColorTune off of ebay but have yet to try it as I have no clue what i'm doing. Thanks in advance.

Austin
                            Austin,

Follow all the other advice here - compression check, valve clearances, intake leaks and airbox sealing, complete carb teardown, cleaning, new o-rings, etc.

When you get ready for a carb sync I can help with my Morgan Carb Tune which lets you sync 'em up real nice. I've only done it on my 77 GS750 but if you have the service manual for your bike we can figure it out just fine.

I'm in Bartlett so probably 30 to 45 min away. You can come to me (the bike will run pretty good with the bench sync you do while putting the carbs back together) or I can come to you.

Good luck!
                            Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                              Austin,

Follow all the other advice here - compression check, valve clearances, intake leaks and airbox sealing, complete carb teardown, cleaning, new o-rings, etc.

When you get ready for a carb sync I can help with my Morgan Carb Tune which lets you sync 'em up real nice. I've only done it on my 77 GS750 but if you have the service manual for your bike we can figure it out just fine.

I'm in Bartlett so probably 30 to 45 min away. You can come to me (the bike will run pretty good with the bench sync you do while putting the carbs back together) or I can come to you.

Good luck!
                              Greg
                              THANKS GREG!! the only thing I have not done yet on the list is compression check and valve job. I'm coming up to the 11,000 mile mark and per factory service manual that is when the valve check should be done. I talked to PO and he had the original valve job done at 4K, and was good at that time. I can do the compression check this weekend if that is absolutely necessary for a sync, otherwise whenever your free i'm not gonna complain about a 45min bike ride ANYWHERE lol....let me know thanks again....

Austin

Comment

Working...
                              X