Sink Gasket = Temp Exhaust Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sink Gasket = Temp Exhaust Gasket?

While attempting to tune my bike tonight I made a grisly discovery as to where I suspect all my issue have been coming from. I have no exhaust gaskets installed. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Lucky for me I already ordered some which should be here next week.

However. I need my bike. AND I was hoping to do a little trip on Sunday with some other members.

Sooooo i went to the crappy lowes and all I could find that was the right size were sink gaskets. So I got 4 and they physically work. I have not run the bike yet as I have some concerns.

I dont care if they crap out its only a temp solution till the real ones come in. But I wonder if they will catch on fire? Damage the exhaust or engine? They are thick rubber...

Thoughts? Input? Suggestions?

I know the need to run the bike. Exhaust is bloody hot and that rubber might not be formulated to take heat. However, it's on the way out of the engine and not in, so if it fries then the worst thing I can think of is that you'll have a bunch of burning crud in your pipes. That ought to burn off eventually. I say, IMHO, give it the old eyeball, make a judgement, and if you want to put them in go for it. I can't wait to see what other people say though.

Comment

Rubber and exhaust = BAD

Most likely they will melt and maybe burn. I can't see anything good coming from it.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Rubber and exhaust = BAD

Most likely they will melt and maybe burn. I can't see anything good coming from it.
        Hmmm what are the real exhausts gaskets made of? I dont have any to use as a reference :P

Comment

Originally posted by mortation View Post
          Hmmm what are the real exhausts gaskets made of? I dont have any to use as a reference :P
          They are metal. Check Z1 or ebay for some photos. They crush down and conform to both the port and the pipe.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            They are metal. Check Z1 or ebay for some photos. They crush down and conform to both the port and the pipe.
            Crap. Crap. Crap.

Comment

The exhaust temp at the header is aprox 1400F. They arent going to accomplish anything other than melting and making a mess. Besides, when the combustion process reaches the exhaust header, the engine is through with it, so other than a minor loss in exhaust back pressure, nothing else is going to happen. You might loose a 1 or 2 hp due to a modified exhaust pulse wave, but thats about it. I ran my 79 750E probably for a year before taking the exhaust headers off and discovering it didnt have any exhaust gaskets. LOL It didnt make any difference that I could tell after I had ordered replacements and installed them.

Earl

While attempting to tune my bike tonight I made a grisly discovery as to where I suspect all my issue have been coming from. I have no exhaust gaskets installed. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero.

Lucky for me I already ordered some which should be here next week.

However. I need my bike. AND I was hoping to do a little trip on Sunday with some other members.

Sooooo i went to the crappy lowes and all I could find that was the right size were sink gaskets. So I got 4 and they physically work. I have not run the bike yet as I have some concerns.

I dont care if they crap out its only a temp solution till the real ones come in. But I wonder if they will catch on fire? Damage the exhaust or engine? They are thick rubber...

Thoughts? Input? Suggestions?
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                The exhaust temp at the header is aprox 1400F. They arent going to accomplish anything other than melting and making a mess. Besides, when the combustion process reaches the exhaust header, the engine is through with it, so other than a minor loss in exhaust back pressure, nothing else is going to happen. You might loose a 1 or 2 hp due to a modified exhaust pulse wave, but thats about it. I ran my 79 750E probably for a year before taking the exhaust headers off and discovering it didnt have any exhaust gaskets. LOL It didnt make any difference that I could tell after I had ordered replacements and installed them.

Earl
                I am getting some air back wash into the bike. Causes my carbs to burp and my exhaust to pop. I guess I can try and just tighten them. They were loose too.

Comment

Yes they are metal. Actuallly you may want to double check to make sure you don't have them in already. They crush and stick in pretty well. If you were looking for a rubber gasket you may have missed them. If you weren't spewing exhaust from where you're pipes connect there are probably existing gaskets. I had two sets stuck in my head when I went to replace them. To reiterate, I say check again. If you install your exhaust and don't have leaks, you're good!

Comment

Originally posted by smagnusen View Post
                    Yes they are metal. Actuallly you may want to double check to make sure you don't have them in already. They crush and stick in pretty well. If you were looking for a rubber gasket you may have missed them. If you weren't spewing exhaust from where you're pipes connect there are probably existing gaskets. I had two sets stuck in my head when I went to replace them. To reiterate, I say check again. If you install your exhaust and don't have leaks, you're good!
                    They go around the outside of the pipe right? How thick are they? Cause I got nothing.

Comment

Mine butt up to the end of the pipe and don't go around it at all.

Comment

I think that by now you've probably gotten the message ... DON'T put the rubber gaskets in there or you will wind up with a burning stinking mess that'll take a long time to burn completely out of the exhaust and stop stinking...

If you have a really bad leak I'd run cork before I'd run rubber. It'll still burn, but at least it won't stink to high heaven. There's a chance (not a good one) that the cork squished between the metal might hold up for a short while, but even this may be a waste of time when you've got replacements on the way.

Good luck with it!

Comment

Just a thought...try making some tight rolls of aluminum foil and then make them into a ring that is the same diameter as the end of the pipes. This will have a somewhat (and that's a stretch) similar appearance to the true exhaust gaskets, and wont burn up like rubber or cork.

Another thought is using some steel wool. Any squishable metal material has a chance of working.

Comment

Try muffler putty !!! put a healthy amount in and let it set off mostly then fit the headers.

Dink

Comment

They go around the outside of the pipe right? How thick are they? Cause I got nothing.
                              Take another look man. They'll be stuck inside the head. Little rings smashed into the exhaust ports. Hard to tell what's what. They won't come out without a fight.

But if they're really not there, I like Lee's foil idea. I wonder if some of the super high temp silicone gasket maker (orange?) would hold up, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X