Cooling Fan for the RR10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling Fan for the RR10

I have added today a computer case fan to the face of my RR10 Electrex voltage regulator. It's 12 volts and sucks air in and across the heat sinks when the bike is running. I spliced it into a wire that is only hot when the key is on. I am anxious to try this out when the weather get hot to see if it does a good job of cooling it.

I've run one for several months now Michael. Certainly couldn't hurt. I just went to my spare R/R today because my old one is putting out 16 volts. My spare is putting out just over 14, much better.

Comment

What size fan did you use & how did you mount & wire it? A good fan can drop the temp Quite a bit, especially in an area where natural airflow is limited.

Comment

In my case I just used a processor fan hooked up to the taillight wires so it has a switched power supply. It's about 2 1/2" square. I used safety wire to hold it on the R/R.

Comment

Used a large case fan about 3" square, mounted it using long decking screws through the sheet metal plate the RR10 is mounted to. Cut the plug off an old CPU power supply and just pluged the fan into it. I found a wire coming off the fuse block ( no longer a stock block) and use a wire splice to tap into it. Only comes on when the ignition is on. I bought a variable speed fan that cost about 20 bucks at a Best Buy. I was going to install it in a computer I was repairing but it was too big for the tiny case so I gave it a home on the GS. The fan spins so that air is pulled from outside onto the heat sink. I will take some pictures this week and post them so you can see what I did. I blows a lot of air about 45 CFM on high and quiet. Dimensions of the fan are 80 x 80 x 25.4mm. 12volts built by Antec. Called the Smart Fan.

Comment

It's been discused before here is the artical http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S.../reg-rect.html

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have two days off in a row (Can't remember the last time that happened!) Now I have something to keep me busy.

Terry

Comment

Working...
              X